Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United 24/09/17 - The Big One

top4718

Been almost 24hrs now and the reality is just beginning to sink in.

What an achievement it is by United to turn up at Hillsborough and provide a performance like that.

A Wednesdayite on another Forum said 'Wednesday expected to win, United, wanted to win'. And I think he's spot on.

Fresh out of the chip-shop league, tipped by all Wednesdayites to struggle, we come and put 4 past ya. And it could have been more.

Think we can put this Boxing Day Massacre to bed now.

Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce Bounce bounce bounce oh bugger.

Its good to read that a good portion of the SWFC fans on here have since acknowledged they were outplayed and accept the result.

I think what made this victory mean more, was the number of SWFC fans who posted on Social Media about the gulf in class, that they will win the game without breaking a sweat, that we are nobodies... to go to Hillsborough, not only win, but shut these fans up, makes it extra special. 5 years we have been laughed at, whilst SWFC flex their financial powers. To come up and do what we did, silenced the critics.

All 11 players on the pitch for us would die for eachother, you saw it in every single celebration, what it meant. Wilder's reaction on the touchline, with all the subs running out of their seats to celebrate with the guys on the pitch... its amazing.

Just hope we perform just as well in January haha.

Its good to read that a good portion of the SWFC fans on here have since acknowledged they were outplayed and accept the result.

I think what made this victory mean more, was the number of SWFC fans who posted on Social Media about the gulf in class, that they will win the game without breaking a sweat, that we are nobodies... to go to Hillsborough, not only win, but shut these fans up, makes it extra special. 5 years we have been laughed at, whilst SWFC flex their financial powers. To come up and do what we did, silenced the critics.

All 11 players on the pitch for us would die for eachother, you saw it in every single celebration, what it meant. Wilder's reaction on the touchline, with all the subs running out of their seats to celebrate with the guys on the pitch... its amazing.

Just hope we perform just as well in January haha.

They wont be looking forward to return match after that performance.

Be 28000 Blades baying for more blood. Be a lot more hostile than Sundays atmosphere.

Good to see a few of you have reappeared after yesterday, the United match threads had tumbleweed blowing round em prior to last week and some even had to be started by Owls.

I don't like the term fair weather fans but......

There's lots more Wednesday fans here, and in the world in general. Hence more replies to Wednesday match threads.

Been almost 24hrs now and the reality is just beginning to sink in.

What an achievement it is by United to turn up at Hillsborough and provide a performance like that.

A Wednesdayite on another Forum said 'Wednesday expected to win, United, wanted to win'. And I think he's spot on.

Fresh out of the chip-shop league, tipped by all Wednesdayites to struggle, we come and put 4 past ya. And it could have been more.

Think we can put this Boxing Day Massacre to bed now.

You won by 2 clear goals, not 4...keep dreaming!

Now the dust has settled I will put in my 2 penneth.

Firstly (and most importantly) I would like to congratulate our neighbours, you where the better team on the day and deserved the win, you have a young talented star in Brooks and you need to keep hold of him.

Now, my lot- I'm starting to get sick of us not being up for big games (and this was a big game) this stems from the management (and I must include Lee Bullen in this) Carlos needs to address this or find alternative employment, failing again will not be an option.

Goalkeeper-Westwood isn't the same player this season and needs to be dropped in favour of Wildsmith, his kicking and distribution is shocking.

Defence- What a day for all the back 4 to have an off day, Van Aken was too tight on Clarke every time and Tom Lees looked a yard off the pace. Hunt (after improved performances this season) was at 6s and 7s and Adam Reach isn't a fullback.

Midfield-We have gone back to a midfield full of strangers again, Bannan had his bi monthly 'gone missing' game, Jones did what Jones does and was sacrificed because of the issues in defence.

Forward-Gary Hooper was the stand out Wednesday man and seems to have hit form (expect injury in the next week) Fletcher huffed and puffed but didn't have the service and Joao showed promise (earned a start in the next game) Jordan Rhodes's confidence is shot, and the only way we will get that back is to play him, I think it may be 'put up or shut up' time.

Pluses-The fight back from 2 down, the performances of Hooper and Joao.

Minuses-Shoddy defending (from a defence that has looked good for the past 5 games) lack of creativity from midfield.

To sum up-We lost, I can take that, but I cant take the manner of defeat. We lost to a 'team' a team (on paper) that doesn't have the quality of Wednesday but would smash their granny in the face to get over the line. It's a defining month for Wednesday (and Carlos) lets hope he takes heed (but I'm not hopeful)

Edited by speedy69