How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

26b-6

Sheffield Councils obsession with bus routes continues. Why not improve journey times for all road users instead of just focusing on busses. I dont have any stats to back me up but Id expect far more people travel by car every day than travel on buses. Spend the money where it will benefit the majority of road users, not a minority.

I would say thousands more people travel by public transport per day than

travel by car. PublicTransport carries passengers all day from shall we say

6am to 11pm Continually picking passengers up. A Car starts a journey usually with one or two people and mostly just make one or two journeys per day

Edited by bazjea

Sheffield Councils obsession with bus routes continues. Why not improve journey times for all road users instead of just focusing on busses. I dont have any stats to back me up but Id expect far more people travel by car every day than travel on buses. Spend the money where it will benefit the majority of road users, not a minority.

As the vast majority of road users are pedestrians at some stage of their journey in Sheffield I welcome your acknowledgement that the money should be spent to "... benefit the majority of road users, not a minority."

The reason you don't have any 'stats' to make your point is because nobody looks at your individual journey and breaks it down into users.

The percentage of different types of road users along different stretches of your journey will vary as will flows and conflicting flows at junctions etc.

While a majority of journeys across urban areas are by necessity by car, it is a very different story for city centres, universities, hospitals etc.

Me paying for your by-passes, ring roads, roundabouts etc., to keep people and goods moving is only the same as you contributing to road management in the city centre to keep people and goods moving.

Getting the balance right for all types of road users is not easy.

The last time I saw the figures, 40% of households in Sheffield did not have access to a private vehicle. Improving bus journey times ensures the lowest paid can journey to work without being faced by longer journeys caused by traffic delays.

Plus, the more people that use public transport the fewer cars there will be on the road thus reducing congestion.

Given that we have a terrible public transport service there's a lot to do other than impede cars in order to make bus travel attractive.

I can literally run home faster than the bus can get me here, and I live on a bus route!

Sheffield City Council has for years been famously and doggedly anti-car. They have never sought to make anything easier for car users in the city, instead constantly putting in place obstacles, in the shape of bad junctions, and roundabouts, (the University roundabout at the top of Brook Hill is a classic) which create massive queues and hold-ups.

Of course, along with these queues and hold-ups, apart from the financial cost and frustration to everyone suffering them every day, comes massive pollution! What a surprise! So, through their arrogance and pig headedness in years gone by, successive councils (not wishing to add the political perspective into this, but if the cap fits, etc. etc. usually Labour) have slowly helped the city to choke itself with traffic, and choke the public with the resultant pollution!

P.S. In answer to the original post -'How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong? The answer is, 'They've had years of practise!'

Edited by Beau Nidle

Sheffield City Council has for years been famously and doggedly anti-car. They have never sought to make anything easier for car users in the city, instead constantly putting in place obstacles, in the shape of bad junctions, and roundabouts, (the University roundabout at the top of Brook Hill is a classic) which create massive queues and hold-ups.

Of course, along with these queues and hold-ups, apart from the financial cost and frustration to everyone suffering them every day, comes massive pollution! What a surprise! So, through their arrogance and pig headedness in years gone by, successive councils (not wishing to add the political perspective into this, but if the cap fits, etc. etc. usually Labour) have slowly helped the city to choke itself with traffic, and choke the public with the resultant pollution!

P.S. In answer to the original post -'How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong? The answer is, 'They've had years of practise!'

With what would you replace University roundabout, and what would the impact on surrounding roads be?

The thing which chokes up the city with traffic is the volume of traffic. Just like every other city on the planet.

If you're so concerned about pollution, stop using the car where practicable.

When i try and drive to work at 8:20am*, who can i blame for bad traffic?

Me, that's who. I've known for my entire life that rush-hour is a bad time to get anywhere, and there i am, making it worse.

Anti-car? get a grip. driving around sheffield outside of rush-hour, is more or less painless. the one-way system near the station is a bit tricky, but much less so than many places i've driven.

Me, that's who. I've known for my entire life that rush-hour is a bad time to get anywhere, and there i am, making it worse.

Aside from those with employers who are flexible, how do you propose that be solved. People have no option but to drive at rush hour. It's rush hour as that's when the vast majority of people are due to start work.

It's the Council's role to deal with the traffic that rush hour inevitably and unavoidably causes.

People have no option but to drive at rush hour.

walk?

cycle?

bus?

tram?

there's 4 options.

and what about car-sharing for a cheeky fifth?

(edit: and trains of course)

how do you propose that be solved.

better public transport and active travel options, the answer isn't "more cars" - we've been trying that almost exclusively since the 50's, it doesn't work.

Edited by ads36

walk?

cycle?

bus?

tram?

there's 4 options.

and what about car-sharing for a cheeky fifth?

(edit: and trains of course)

better public transport and active travel options, the answer isn't "more cars" - we've been trying that almost exclusively since the 50's, it doesn't work.

Sorry, allow me to re-phrase

'A hell of a lot of people have no option but to drive'.

I include myself in that.

Walking about 6 miles round trip, with a 6 year old, isn't viable. Ditto cycling. The tram goes nowhere near me, nor does it go near the places I need to get to every morning. Buses are useless, and if you have to make a round trip, perhaps incorporating dropping off others, children at school etc, then they're useless entirely.

So those people, and there's clearly a lot, have no option.

Trains are irrelevant for the residents of the city, who will make up most of rush hour, and I already car share with my family.

As for 'better public transport' - how is that possible? The buses are overpriced, don't go where they're needed, and are thoroughly unpleasant. If you make them cheaper, add more routes, and make them more pleasant (unlikely), who is paying for that? The tram is actually far nicer, but again, you would need to route it to countless other areas (hospital, Broomhill, Ecclesall Road etc) and that costs money that simply isn't there.

Edited by Andy1976