Questions for students please read

My mother has been doing this for a while in Durham. You will tend to get post grad/international students/quiet students as undergrad brits will want generally want to go into halls and go on the lash regularly. my mother didn't cook meals but did clean the rooms and do all their washing. She had certain rooms in the house they could use (kitchen, bathroom, dining room, 1 bedroom) and others they couldn't - this was all in the contract. The benefit of cleaning their rooms is that you can give them a licensee contract (due to regular access to room needed) rather than a tenancy agreement which gives them far fewer rights. She generally found it to be a positive experience but at times did find it a tad intrusive.

The other issue is you can't really charge them rent in the holidays - but it does mean you get a break and if they turn out to be a bit of a pain at least you know they'll only be there for 6 months or at most a year.

She stays in touch with some of them as they got on well. Others she was glad to see the back of (stinky dave being one).

Edited by TimmyR

Just looking on spareroom.com, its around £1 per day, that is to contact someone or to place an add.

I guess if it works, that is ok. there are people on housing benefit (£62 per week) and people wanting rooms that will pay £100 per week, more for a double.

Just looking on spareroom.com, its around £1 per day, that is to contact someone or to place an add.

I guess if it works, that is ok. there are people on housing benefit (£62 per week) and people wanting rooms that will pay £100 per week, more for a double.

spare room has always worked for me in the past. Worth the small charge, although what they are actually charging for is a mystery.