Appalling behaviour by football fans

smog

First 155 standing, 88 seated is the design. It’s not a legal limit as there is no legal limit and that’s assuming for plenty of space between passengers.

Trust me, when the police and physically forcing people through the doors it’s possible to exceed that number by at least 3 times.

And you obviously didn’t read my post - the trams couldn’t move because a) the police were blocking the road, hence the service being suspended between Shalesmoor and Malin/Middlewood and b) the police had damaged one of the doors when they were issuing conflicting orders so the lead tram couldn’t move!

First 155 standing, 88 seated is the design. It’s not a legal limit as there is no legal limit and that’s assuming for plenty of space between passengers.

Trust me, when the police and physically forcing people through the doors it’s possible to exceed that number by at least 3 times.

And you obviously didn’t read my post - the trams couldn’t move because a) the police were blocking the road, hence the service being suspended between Shalesmoor and Malin/Middlewood and b) the police had damaged one of the doors when they were issuing conflicting orders so the lead tram couldn’t move!

No your right I didn't fully read it because you cant substantiate your 600 claim and your blaming Police for the behaviour of football fans

No your right I didn't fully read it because you cant substantiate your 600 claim and your blaming Police for the behaviour of football fans

No, I’m saying in one very specific incident the police inflamed the situation and could have dealt with it in a much better way. Surely constructive feedback which could help improve future events is a good thing.

No, I’m saying in one very specific incident the police inflamed the situation and could have dealt with it in a much better way. Surely constructive feedback which could help improve future events is a good thing.

It shouldn't be the job of the Police to steward football fans on the streets. If anything else caused this it would be banned all together.

You definitely wouldn't physically get 600 people on a tram, there isn't enough floor space for 512 people to stand. As Hook says, there is no upper limit on passenger numbers, other than how many can fit! But that is absolutely no more than 300, in my opinion.

Whether it was 300, 600 or some other figure, it would have been baking hot if the tram stood for any length of time.

I saw the "convoy" as it left the city centre. The first tram was very heavily loaded, the second probably less so, followed closely by a Yellow to Middlewood from what I remember.

I would suggest in future these derbies are played behind closed doors with no fans present. Minority has spoilt it for majority but it sounds like it was a complete farce last Sunday!

Another derby on Sunday: Leeds United are the visitors!!!!! Same thing again?!

Hillsborough was full of loutish and drunk supporters earlier - from both sides. There was a lot of mess left by fans - glass, cans, vomit, takeaway wrappers. I witnessed flares being let off in the street, trams and buses unable to move due to idiots in the road. Awful language from both sides. My son reported that the city centre and around Bramall Road was even worse with police being abused and spat at and fires being started in the road. Not a good advertisment for parents of new students and those visiting for the 10K.

When are the clubs going to take proper responsibility for their fans? They let the rest of the city down.

When are the parents going to take proper responsibility for their children perhaps too? Problem is, some of these are not even children or teenagers, they are grown men who have never had any boundaries or discipline and have never actually grown up.

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 22:07 ----------

The police inflamed the situation. They held the football special trams (for little reason) which had several hundred Blades fans on. The trams were hot, sweaty and very uncomfortable. A woman fainted at the back of one of the trams, so somebody pulled the emergency door release and the fans all got off the tram. The police then corralled them, before forcing them back onto the tram. They then held the tram again and the situation repeated itself. In the process the tram got damaged.

Had they just let the trams go through Hillsborough, the fans would have been dropped off at Leppings Lane quickly and without trouble.

At the end of the game when the fans just got on the tram there were very few problems.

Having seen it from the viewpoint I did, I would have said it was the appalling behaviour of the police and their decisions which caused all the trouble prior to the match.

On the contrary, if the police hadn't acted as they did then several hundred Blades fans would have arrived at the Leppings Lane end to be greeted by several hundred Wednesday fans who were awaiting their arrival with the intent of causing trouble. There would have been a pitched battle.

The police delayed the Blades fans until they could clear Leppings Lane end of the Wednesday fans. It would have been far worse if they hadn't.

If I were you, I'd look to blame the subversive element of both sets of fans and not the police who did they best to preserve law and order.

I actually think having an early kick off can be counter productive as the troublemakers start drinking earlier so have more time to drink and cause trouble later in the day.

The match should be played at 8am - before the pubs open and before most of the troublemakers have surfaced out of bed.

Why not ?

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 22:14 ----------

When are the parents going to take proper responsibility for their children perhaps too? Problem is, some of these are not even children or teenagers, they are grown men who have never had any boundaries or discipline and have never actually grown up.

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 22:07 ----------

On the contrary, if the police hadn't acted as they did then several hundred Blades fans would have arrived at the Leppings Lane end to be greeted by several hundred Wednesday fans who were awaiting their arrival with the intent of causing trouble. There would have been a pitched battle.

The police delayed the Blades fans until they could clear Leppings Lane end of the Wednesday fans. It would have been far worse if they hadn't.

If I were you, I'd look to blame the subversive element of both sets of fans and not the police who did they best to preserve law and order.

Excellent post.

So many posters on here who apparently have more knowledge than the police and think they know everything about everything but actually know nothing about nowt.

600 people on one tram - utter hefferdust.

Edited by Daven

maybe not serving alchol at 8.30 am maybe be better idea

---------- Post added 27-09-2017 at 02:36 ----------

Doesn't explain the majority of what I witnessed today. I think you might need to explain what letting off flares in a crowded street has to do with a tram. Just dangerous.

its a frigging derby things happen whats more is the total incompitance of s yorks police