Appalling behaviour by football fans

smog

Guest makapaka
It was meant to be more of a rhetorical question.

What point were you trying to make then and what has the hillsborough disaster got to do with last weeks derby?

What point were you trying to make then and what has the hillsborough disaster got to do with last weeks derby?

The point is that there seems to be an almost casual attitude that this behavior is to be expected and accepted just because it is football related, and that nothing can be done about it.

Why is it that people who are probably civilized, law abiding citizens in their everyday lives suddenly turn into swivel-eyed thugs when they go to watch their favourite football team play.

Why is it that every matchday scarce police resources are needed to 'control' a crowd of people going to a sporting event, all at the taxpayers expense. Have these people got no self-control.

As for the Hillsborough inquests, one of the criticisms levelled at the police was that they 'lost control' of the fans outside the Leppings Lane turnstiles and yet again the above questions were never asked or answered.

Guest makapaka
The point is that there seems to be an almost casual attitude that this behavior is to be expected and accepted just because it is football related, and that nothing can be done about it.

Why is it that people who are probably civilized, law abiding citizens in their everyday lives suddenly turn into swivel-eyed thugs when they go to watch their favourite football team play.

Why is it that every matchday scarce police resources are needed to 'control' a crowd of people going to a sporting event, all at the taxpayers expense. Have these people got no self-control.

As for the Hillsborough inquests, one of the criticisms levelled at the police was that they 'lost control' of the fans outside the Leppings Lane turnstiles and yet again the above questions were never asked or answered.

I wasn’t aware there was any casual acceptance of the behaviour - that’s why the police are there in the first place.

The vast majority don’t turn into thugs, some thugs go and watch football though -some don’t have self control.

What question were never asked or answered? Whether or not the fans were to blame? I think you’ll find that was answered.

When I was a child we used to live on Bastock Rd where STB cars are now. My father and grandfather used to go to the match at hillsbro' when I believe there were 60 odd thousand there, they used to say you could stand in the middle of opposing fans and have a great afternoon without any fighting or trouble.

I would suggest in future these derbies are played behind closed doors with no fans present. Minority has spoilt it for majority but it sounds like it was a complete farce last Sunday!

Another derby on Sunday: Leeds United are the visitors!!!!! Same thing again?!

No, SYP praised both sets of fans on their behaviour.

Maybe SYP treat fans with some respect and didn't get the retaliatory reaction that their corralling had caused on the previous Sunday.

Maybe the slightly earlier kick-off time had resulted in less drinking time for the fans who need dutch courage.

Maybe there were no blades attending.

Who knows?

No, SYP praised both sets of fans on their behaviour.

Maybe SYP treat fans with some respect and didn't get the retaliatory reaction that their corralling had caused on the previous Sunday.

Maybe the slightly earlier kick-off time had resulted in less drinking time for the fans who need dutch courage.

Maybe there were no blades attending.

Who knows?

Whether it's down to the media or whatever, given that there was publicised trouble at Middlesborough v SUFC, the SUFC v Norwich game, and after the Sheffield Derby, it does suggest that of the two clubs, they have the larger hooligan element. It's not all fans of course, but perhaps theirs is the larger portion.

I think it is wrong to think there was not violence at football in the good old days. I broke my jaw when involved in football violence this was in the early eighties my uncle Bill who was a tie and shirt kind of man and who I thought would go mad at me told me he took part in trouble in the 30s at football . He supported Wednesday I support the Blades . He and all his brothers fought in the Second World War as well so are they just mindless thugs I do not think so it is much more complicated than that

Im lead to believe that football violence evolved back when people started to have enough disposable income to travel to away matches, triggering a rivalry between the opposing fans. Before that, fans could only go to their home games. No doubt being as a working mans sport, violence was always going to evolve? Many other working mans sports were banned, such as cokc/dog fighting etc, but football could act as a release valve for those whom required it.