Eye test and driving

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

My long sightedness is Sph +1.00 and 6/5-2, in my left eye.

I havnt a clue what this means; whether I am a mile off being too bad for driving.

I have Googled, but the subject seems complicated, to me.

That seems unlikely, I don't think that the police have the power to ban someone from driving.

They can and do, a really old bloke came round a roundabout the wrong way, the police drove his car home and informed the dvla to revoke his licence until he was proved fit to drive. I think they realised he couldn't see very well.

Expert in diagnosing your eyes, not an expert in the law.

They may not be experts in the law. However, its hardly beyond the realms of realism for a qualified opthalmologist to ALSO be knowlegable of the powers of the police and/or DVLA in relation to a driver causing a hazard due to below standard eye sight.

They may not be experts in the law. However, its hardly beyond the realms of realism for a qualified opthalmologist to ALSO be knowlegable of the powers of the police and/or DVLA in relation to a driver causing a hazard due to below standard eye sight.

Why slip in the and/or DVLA, the claim was that the police would ban. They can't, they don't have that power.

Same thing in the long run !

Yes, it is the same thing in the long run, but what is worrying is what happens in the short term. The officer can contact the DVLA immediately, but even if in his judgement there is a serious risk of danger if the driver is allowed to continue on his way, the officer has no power to prevent this until he has notification that DVLA has suspended the licence.

That seems unlikely, I don't think that the police have the power to ban someone from driving.

The laws did change quite recently regarding what the police are allowed to do if they suspect someone is driving with poor vision.

Not sure on the specifics though, but before they didn't have much power to do anything :o:o