Cycling on pavements

Walking to work recently I've had cyclists overtaking me on the footpath. Is this illegal? It's not bothered me too much before as they haven't been going fast and have been relatively considerate. This morning though a woman actually started ringing her bike bell to get pedestrians to move out of her way. I'm just interested to hear cyclists thoughts on this.

Yes, cycling on the footpath is illegal and punishable with a £50.00 fine.

Cyclist often share the paths with pedestrians, when there is a sign. If its a footway for pedestrians only, I understand the police have got to actually see the cyclist on the footpath in order to prosecute, that is what they say for cars ;)

Was she ringing her bell to get people to move out of her way or just to alert pedestrians of her presence?

If she were also a car driver, she would perhaps be aware of rule 112 of the Highway Code – "The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence" – and thus applying the same to cycling on a footpath.

Before the days of segregated lanes, I used to cycle to work along a shared canal towpath and when approaching pedestrians would ring my bell but also call out "Cyclist passing on your right/left (according to where they were positioned on the path).

Walking to work recently I've had cyclists overtaking me on the footpath. Is this illegal? It's not bothered me too much before as they haven't been going fast and have been relatively considerate. This morning though a woman actually started ringing her bike bell to get pedestrians to move out of her way. I'm just interested to hear cyclists thoughts on this.

There are many shared foot/cycle paths in this city. Maybe this is one, they generally work well. The one down Snig Hill alongside the old Coop usually has pedestrians in the bike bit though, as it's not clearly marked.

If this is just a footpath then the woman in question shouldn't be there.

I commute every day by bike, and have for years, and never feel the need to ride on the footpath. I do use the shared paths for a few stretches and have never had any issue.

I should have said that this was a normal roadside pavement, not an off-road path with shared access for cyclists. She couldn't get past some pedestrians so rang her bell. I regularly see a man cycling along this footpath as well. No bell ringing but he will cycle slowly behind pedestrians until he can get past or he overtakes them by going on the road briefly. I hope this isn't a trend starting.

When cyclist rings bell behind on pedestrian bit I don't react whatsoever. Even if they yel get out of the way, if it's pedestrian they can do wat they want, I wont react.

---------- Post added 28-09-2017 at 07:29 ----------

mostly beginner inexperienced cyclist who ring bike bell or shout to move away for them.

Edited by dutch