Cycling on pavements

New Zealand is not exactly known for being flat and they have a great cycle network.

I know most people I speak to, friends and other, say they would love to cycle, but they are put off by the roads first and foremost.

I agree. Sheffield hills are not a problem for me, as I know that I just need a bike with low gears.

The roads full of insane amounts of motor traffic are a major put-off. Quite simply, however careful you are, there's a constant low-level risk of being hit from behind by some idiot motorist on their mobile phone.

That said, I cycle a lot. I just stick to local routes where going on major roads is minimal.

For example, I'm just off to Attercliffe where I'll avoid the horrible long big road by getting onto the five-weirs walk.

And, of course, the same reasoning is why many cyclists use the pavement at the side of big main roads.

As long as they don't bomb along like maniacs and put pedestrians at risk, I have no issue with them doing so.

Plans to link Dronfield and Chesterfield by making a shared cycleway/footpath between the Three Tuns, Dronfield, and the Peak Resort path at Unstone. Part of the path is used twice a day by school children going to and from school, usually accompanied by mums and prams.... but the track is not expoected to be used by commuter cyclists who will stay on the road.

Well, I can see what you were trying to do, but it still wasn't a metaphor.

"Posting that is like riding on the pavement."

That's a metaphor.

What you said was simply a statement.

and:

metaphor

ˈmɛtəfə,ˈmɛtəfɔː/Submit

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 09:16 ----------

You confused irony and metaphor, adorable.

Whereas you confused simile and metaphor. Equally adorable.

Walking to work recently I've had cyclists overtaking me on the footpath. Is this illegal? It's not bothered me too much before as they haven't been going fast and have been relatively considerate. This morning though a woman actually started ringing her bike bell to get pedestrians to move out of her way. I'm just interested to hear cyclists thoughts on this.

I think Prescott may have well influenced this thread. I distinctly remember him advocating when new LIEbour were in power cycle riding on the footpath was ok. Mind he did not come over as the brightest tool in the box did he.

Angel1.

I think Prescott may have well influenced this thread. I distinctly remember him advocating when new LIEbour were in power cycle riding on the footpath was ok. Mind he did not come over as the brightest tool in the box did he.

Angel1.

I think I'm right in saying that Paul Boateng issued guidance that the police could exercise their discretion in dealing with cyclists on pavements, rather than just taking a strict heavy handed approach every time.

Having spent time in Strasbourg France I’ll never moan ( not that I ever did) about cyclists here again

---------- Post added 13-11-2017 at 19:11 ----------

Au contraire mon Redruby if you visit most of thse European cities and towns, you will see mainly trams,buses and lots of bikes. An area such as Fargate or the Moor will be full of people on bikes happily co-mingling with the pedestrians with no problems at all. I think in this country, we like to make everything a problem where none exists.

Beg to differ. I wouldn’t like to have to push a child in a pram or be a disabled person in Strasbourg. Pavements, squares, cyclists all over.

I've always believed it was safer for young children to cycle on pavements, until I was walking down a straight road and a lad of about nine came speeding round a corner and could have knocked me over, I moved quickly out of the way, but someone slower and older may not have done:(