Cycling on pavements

Because that encourages people out of their cars, banning bikes from parts of the city! :huh:

---------- Post added 28-09-2017 at 09:43 ----------

Is it ironic that the story you quote isn't about a pedestrianised area?

And also

So you managed to get from a non cyclist fault collision on the road, to cyclists should be banned in pedestrianised areas. Can you walk me through that logic?

If an area is pedestrianised then is should be free from cyclists and cars. I'm sure there are responsible cyclists, but on busy days I have watched cyclists ride very closely in between people on pedestrianised areas. Why should they be allowed to ride a bike in these area? What's your opinion?

There is a little area outside Newcastle called Gateshead and over the last few years they have been adding more cycle lanes next to the busy roads and it seems to be working very well, it must be a cyclists paradise the amount of cycle lanes they have added. I have no objection to more cycle lanes being built keeping motorists and cyclists safe and separate from each other. Are these lanes being built because there are more accidents, I tend to think they are. Just my opinion.

If an area is pedestrianised then is should be free from cyclists

Why? Give a reason for this. Very few people are injured or killed when cyclists share footpaths with pedestrians. many cyclists are injured or killed when they share roads with cars so if they are allowed to use pedestrianised areas then fewer people might be injured or killed .

Of course that maniac in london killed someone whilst riding a bike but I don't think banning bikes from pedestrianised areas would have made any difference. He as a maniac would still have ridden through and the ban just means that other cyclists can't ride around safely.

I have asked this many times, why is there this dislike of cyclists in this country? In places like Copenhagen, everyone cycles - there is no "Cyclists do this and that". This is the cultural change we need to try to create in this country. Bikes are the answer to many problems - congestion, health, pollution - but cyclists are verbally and physically attacked as though they some kind of scum. this country is backwards.

Edited by TimmyR

If an area is pedestrianised then is should be free from cyclists and cars. I'm sure there are responsible cyclists, but on busy days I have watched cyclists ride very closely in between people on pedestrianised areas. Why should they be allowed to ride a bike in these area? What's your opinion?

Why should they? Because it's a form of non polluting personal transportation that is being encouraged as an alternative to car use.

Cyclists should be required to cycle slowly and safely in areas shared with pedestrians. Which should be all areas where pedestrians are allowed to be.

It's not a big problem to me, I could wheel my bike through a pedestrian area I suppose. But what's the big deal with cycling slowly through it at jogging or slower pace?

Well I hope you've got a bell. Segway users are all the same, kings of the roads in their minds. They should pay road tax and have a licence and insurance and be forced to eat jelly until they're sorry.

Language Timothy! You can’t go making sweeting generalisations about a whole race of people (the followers of segwayism). We’re the ones that look coolest of them all on our modern machines not like the Penny Farthing yobbos that innocent people have to encounter on a daily basis. In fact a maniac on a BMX nearly knocked my friend Stephen clean off his Segway as he was zooming up Fargate last week. My poor friend only had one hand on the Segway too cos he were smoking a roll up at the time. I do like jelly though.

Edited by ohmyword
For clarity

Language Timothy! You can’t go making sweeting generalisations about a whole race of people (the followers of segwayism). We’re the ones that look coolest of them all on our modern machines not like the Penny Farthing yobbos that innocent people have to encounter on a daily basis. In fact a maniac on a BMX nearly knocked my friend Stephen clean off his Segway as he was zooming up Fargate last week. My poor friend only had one hand on the Segway too cos he were smoking a roll up at the time. I do like jelly though.

think you ought to have a serious word with your friend Stephen.

that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

Not after 4 hours of forced jelly consumption you wouldn't. Ultimately, you are ruining a very good discussion about cycling. Cycling on pavements has only been discussed about 200 times before on this forum and is very much in need of being ranted about again from all sides. no one has even mentioned red lights yet!

Why should they? Because it's a form of non polluting personal transportation that is being encouraged as an alternative to car use.

Cyclists should be required to cycle slowly and safely in areas shared with pedestrians. Which should be all areas where pedestrians are allowed to be.

It's not a big problem to me, I could wheel my bike through a pedestrian area I suppose. But what's the big deal with cycling slowly through it at jogging or slower pace?

Fair enough I hear what you are saying, as long as everyone does.

Ive seen a "no cyclists sign" (a round sign with a red border with a cycle in the the middle with a line through it). What would be the "cyclist can ride here, but sensibly , ie dont hurtle down at high speed on a saturday afterrnoon, you could probably go for it when all the shops are shut" sign look like?

They tried banning them (and cars) down bridge street in worksop as its quite steep. Failed! Nobody run over that Ive seen but seen plenty of cyclists speed down the hill. Still not as scary as old people driving along at a crawl (and still nearly hitting pedestrians). I did watch a chap from the coucil shout at a speeding cyclist once. Thats as far as he got though I think.

Cycling on the footpath is illegal - whether that is beneficial to society is another question however. You need to be aware that some footpaths are in fact shared with bikes. You'll see the blue sign with a pedestrian and a bike on it if this is the case. If the path you were on was one of these then the person was entirely within their rights to be there and courteously warning you of their presence using their bell so as not to startle you as they went past. Please view it like this rather than assuming they are "trying to get the pedestrians to move out of her way"

If you don't use your bell, you get "Get a bell you lout" as you scare the willies out of people as you whizz past, if you do use a bell you get "how rude, trying to make me move". Can't win on a bike.

---------- Post added 28-09-2017 at 08:45 ----------

Well you entirely missed the previous posters point there!

As mentioned in a previous post I made, this was on a normal roadside path, not an off-road path with shared cycling access. I am ashamed to admit that in the past I used to cycle on footpaths, probably for the reasons you believe it should be allowed. I now think it would leave pedestrians very vulnerable if this became commonplace/legal. I'm absolutely not anti cycling but the roadside footpaths in this country are mostly unsuitable for shared access with cyclists. Particularly for the elderly, disabled and small children.

[QUOTE=WestTinsley;11731699]I think over the past ten years the cycling in the footpath law has been thrown out the window. No idea why.

I guess next there'll be speed limits on cyclists ..if the hazardous London speeding cyclists are anything to go by..

No it hasnt. It is still an offence punishable with a £50 fixed penalty notice.