Cycling on pavements

I sometimes walk along Brocco Bank during the rush hour. Cyclists will often pass pedestrians on the pavement at speed, perhaps not realising that the noise of the traffic means we can't hear them coming. If I were to change direction to cross the road there would be a collision. I once heard a doctor say that he used to cycle along the pavement until he worked in A & E and had to tend to all the elderly people who had their hips broken by speeding cyclists.

Motorists should also stay off the pavement - it is for pedestrians.

As mentioned in a previous post I made, this was on a normal roadside path, not an off-road path with shared cycling access. I am ashamed to admit that in the past I used to cycle on footpaths, probably for the reasons you believe it should be allowed. I now think it would leave pedestrians very vulnerable if this became commonplace/legal. I'm absolutely not anti cycling but the roadside footpaths in this country are mostly unsuitable for shared access with cyclists. Particularly for the elderly, disabled and small children.

Trouble is a lot of the roads are unsuitable for cycling.

Trouble is a lot of the roads are unsuitable for cycling.

Maybe so, but that doesn't make it ok to cycle on a footpath. If you choose to cycle you know the risks. It's hardly fair for say, an elderly, hard of hearing person to have to deal with cyclists whizzing past on the path when they will have difficulty hearing them and moving out of the way.

In the past I've cycled on pavements thinking it's safer and more convenient. It's actually very selfish, inconsiderate and potentially dangerous.

Its similar to not enough parking space, to cars park on the pavement.

A car parked on a pavement is an obstruction but less of a hazard than a cyclist on a pavement. I would prefer less cars on the roads and more cyclists. But not cycling on footpaths. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It's a sure sign the students are back on Ecclesall Road pavements, I've been dodging bikes for the last week or so. When I challenged one girl wobbling along, trying to dodge everyone, she said "My dad doesn't like me being on the road!" I said "Well everyone in the country doesn't like you being on the pavement! - that's why it's against the law, -get off!"

They ride on the pavement as if it is their right to do so, at the busiest of times too!

If no one says anything to them they carry on regardless, it is time we challenged them every time. I was nearly knocked down several times. The winning of that legal case has given us more courage to challenge them. One of these days I'm going to carry a strong stick and shove it into their wheel spokes as they ride past, accidentally of course.

Edited by Jeddo

Its about being sensible. Tearing down the pavement quite fast is obviously not good but just gently peddling along isn't a problem so long as the pavement is too busy with pedestrians. I used the pavements sometimes at certain places when I used to cycle, such as West Bar where the court is because that stretch of road there is dangerous for cyclists; plenty of police saw me and were not bothered, neither was anyone else.

99% of those arse-aching about this are envious because they're probably overweight and incapable, yep yep yep.

Edited by Guest

Its about being sensible.

It is actually about reading, understanding and acting upon the Highway Code. Rule 64 is all you need to know.

Still, it is lovely to read all the cyclists explaining why they think that the code does not apply to them.

I'm not overweight nor incapable, I'm a motorbiker and car driver, and about to get my first pushbike to get more exercise, and on the road, never on the pavement. There is never any excuse for biking on the pavement, that is the pedestrian domain, and should be free from those risks to life and limb. Don't get a bike if you are too scared on the road, or don't ride on the roads that are dangerous, find another route.

A car parked on a pavement is an obstruction but less of a hazard than a cyclist on a pavement. I would prefer less cars on the roads and more cyclists. But not cycling on footpaths. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Its sensible to allow a 5 year old to cycle on the pavement, so the law does not always make sense.

---------- Post added 30-09-2017 at 09:25 ----------

I'm not overweight nor incapable, I'm a motorbiker and car driver, and about to get my first pushbike to get more exercise.

Most cyclist are motorists and pedestrians; you will at some point cycle on the pavement.