Cycling on pavements

Maybe so, but that doesn't make it ok to cycle on a footpath. If you choose to cycle you know the risks. It's hardly fair for say, an elderly, hard of hearing person to have to deal with cyclists whizzing past on the path when they will have difficulty hearing them and moving out of the way.

In the past I've cycled on pavements thinking it's safer and more convenient. It's actually very selfish, inconsiderate and potentially dangerous.

They don't need to move out the way, the cyclist having eyes and steering can ride around them. There is very low risk of hurting anyone whilst riding a bike, I ride my bike VERY considerately when on a footpath.

See it like this, if allowing people to ride bikes on footpaths means a handful of people stop driving cars which are far more lethal, then that is surely a good thing is it not?

Edited by TimmyR

It is actually about reading, understanding and acting upon the Highway Code. Rule 64 is all you need to know.

Still, it is lovely to read all the cyclists explaining why they think that the code does not apply to them.

Same law for cycling on the pavement applies to driving on the pavement. Goes all the way back to Victorian times.

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/pavementparkingcop/

It is routinely ignored to the point where a driver who mounted pavement and killed four-year-old girl is cleared of any wrongdoing.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/delivery-driver-who-mounted-pavement-12782437

And since we are quoting bits of the HC how about

Rule 145 states: “You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.”

I dont think parking on the pavement counts as an emergency

In London they even have the audacity to use the pedestrian and pelican crossings.. commuter cyclists are an altogether dangerous breed down there

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 10:41 ----------

The point of such a law would be to make people in general safer would it not? Like any law regarding roads etc. If there was no discernible benefit to such a law being in place then the law is basically pointless. There is small increase in risk to pedestrians when cyclists use footpaths, but it is small and there is a decrease in risk to the cyclists. The london cyclist killing a pedestrian was a rare case which sadly got huge media attention and now everyone think cyclists kill people regularly. Its hugely unlikely compared to a driver killing a pedestrian or a driver killing a cyclist.

There has been a large amount of cyclists using footpaths over the past 15 years ... no idea why..

As for London I was talking from personal experience of their antics, rather than the recent news story..

In London they even have the audacity to use the pedestrian and pelican crossings.. commuter cyclists are an altogether dangerous breed down there

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 10:41 ----------

There has been a large amount of cyclists using footpaths over the past 15 years ... no idea why..

Because a lot of people find riding on the road terrifying.

Walking to work recently I've had cyclists overtaking me on the footpath. Is this illegal? It's not bothered me too much before as they haven't been going fast and have been relatively considerate. This morning though a woman actually started ringing her bike bell to get pedestrians to move out of her way. I'm just interested to hear cyclists thoughts on this.

Just come back from Benidorm. They have put cycle paths in the MIDDLE of the road there. Any cyclist riding on the edge of the road where there is a cycle path in the middle is fined 200 euros.

Just come back from Benidorm. They have put cycle paths in the MIDDLE of the road there. Any cyclist riding on the edge of the road where there is a cycle path in the middle is fined 200 euros.

Motorists would be bankrupt if traffic violations cost them £200