Cycling on pavements

The Netherlands may be flat, but that means it's often very windy, and they're no strangers to ferocious sideways freezing rain, for 8 months of the year, still they cycle.

hill or a head-wind? give me a hill every time - at least it stops when i do.

you're right, i think lots of people are put off by the hills. but look around Sheffield after work, there are thousands of people walking home - despite the hills. the people of Sheffield are clearly not lazy.

my wife's as bad as anyone for this: "i couldn't ride home, it's too hilly" - despite happily walking home.

the hills may put people off, but they're more of a mental obstacle, than a physical or geologic one...

and bikes have gears, and we have no safe cycle routes.

imagine how popular cycling could be if we gave all those hardy walkers the option of something easier and faster...

Au contraire mon Redruby if you visit most of thse European cities and towns, you will see mainly trams,buses and lots of bikes. An area such as Fargate or the Moor will be full of people on bikes happily co-mingling with the pedestrians with no problems at all. I think in this country, we like to make everything a problem where none exists.

Au contraire mon Redruby if you visit most of thse European cities and towns, you will see mainly trams,buses and lots of bikes. An area such as Fargate or the Moor will be full of people on bikes happily co-mingling with the pedestrians with no problems at all. I think in this country, we like to make everything a problem where none exists.

These shared spaces work well if there is a lot of space to be had. Two areas where they have worked fine for years are outside the city hall, and the University outside the SU and through the underpass. On the other had cycling is forbidden through Tudor square which makes no sense.

Simple painting white lines down narrow pavements and calling it cycle route helps no one. It is the cheap way of pretending you have put in a facility so you can tick a box

The new “gold” route past the diamond is intended to be a high-quality cycle route but in effect has become a shared space as the students just walk in the middle of it. This route also has the dangerous problem of cars failing to give way to cycles as they enter the space from Regent St. The give way signs are big enough

Then you get cycle routes on pavements that no one knows exist and presumably, pedestrians will think that the cyclist is breaking the law. My favourite is the route through the narrow section outside the Bankers Draft. I think it went in as an afterthought when the tram route was built

it looks like the new development around charter square has the feel of something the Dutch may have put in with a wide, segregated and clearly marked cycle route. It will be interesting to see the final product and may be a sign of change of emphasis by SCC who have an ambitious target of 10% journeys by bike by 2025

• 1 month later...
It's the most recent cycling thread. I suppose I could have started a new one, but I didn't, I guess you'll have to live with it.

Cyclone,

You've got to be the most unluckiest cyclist out there?

Are you ginger under that helmet and the car drivers sense it?

I thought I was watching Kenny on South Park.

metaphor

ˈmɛtəfə,ˈmɛtəfɔː/Submit

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 09:16 ----------

I'll leave you to think about a comment about a post in the wrong place, on a thread about machines and their users being in the wrong place.

Get back to me when you have an answer.

You confused irony and metaphor, adorable.

The Netherlands is quite flat and therefore quite pleasant to cycle around.

Here in Sheffield, If you live in say Chapletown and worked in town, imagine the long mountainous climb up through Ecclesfiield up to Grenoside? It puts a lot of people off.

New Zealand is not exactly known for being flat and they have a great cycle network.

I know most people I speak to, friends and other, say they would love to cycle, but they are put off by the roads first and foremost.

Edited by Agent Orange

If you wanted something enough, and the off putting factors were small enough, yes, you'd do it.

But clearly people want things to differing levels, so barriers to cycling clearly do (and measurably and demonstrably) put a % of people off cycling who would otherwise cycle.