What was the divide?

As a Man City fan I've always been aware of the historical secterian divide between us and the salford team - MCFC being the protestant team and the rags the catholic side. There are always plenty of Rangers shirts and banners at City games. It's a similar tale in Liverpool with the reds & blues there.

Thankfully it's not really an issue these days just evident in places, but was it ever so with the two Sheffield teams or was the divide down to other matters (class,geography,colour preference)?

Just interested.

PS Any City fans check out my post on "Non Sheffield chit chat"

I'm not aware of any sectarian divide between United and Wednesday ever having existed. I don't really think Sheffield's ever had this tradition, possibly because there was never that big influx of Irish immigration that was experienced in Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow.

Originally it was probably more down to geography, and maybe still is to a minor extent, but now it seems to mostly be just one of those random things.

Archived