Parking rip off (again) - 40% increase in charges

Litotes

Why should we have to pay to park, after all, I like most motorists pay road tax, the councils that charge for parking are just parasites, because they have power they are allowed to practice extortion.

1. Road tax was abolished in 1937. I know we drivers pay VED, but that goes to the general fund; and petrol taxes. But I don't believe that pays our full share of the costs, and I for one don't want to be a freeloader. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

2. Our council may be inept and amateurish in many ways, but they provide a ton of services for our roads directly and through contractors. I believe in democracy and don't see what is to be gained by denigrating our representatives. The UK is the birthplace of democracy, why do so many people hate it?

3. There's not enough parking in the urban centres and some neighbourhoods near the centre, and never will be. Charging helps make sure there's a reasonable turnover of spaces, and part of the art is setting the level so it's cheap enough that people will use it when needed and expensive enough so they will use it sensibly.

4. I don't know of any city as big as Sheffield that offers a better deal on parking in the UK, US, or Europe -- although I'm far from an expert and welcome any correction. Why should Sheffield, alone of all cities, be immune to the economics of car use?

Since when do parking prices have to be linked to staff wage costs?

Charging for parking is a demand management measure designed to assist in managing congestion. That is the only lawful reason local authorities have to increase prices once they are covering their costs.

They made circa £3m surplus last year.

Your responses look rather disproportionate for a 20p per hour increase. Most people thought 50p per hour was cheap. 70p isn't exactly a kings ransom.

What did you want to know on the FOI and have you reminded their FOI team it's overdue?

Yet you try and have us believe parking charges in the city centre are to stop workers parking all day and leaving no space for shoppers. Your admission the council made a 3m surplus last year says the real reason for charging for parking is to make money.

Why should we have to pay to park, after all, I like most motorists pay road tax, the councils that charge for parking are just parasites, because they have power they are allowed to practice extortion.

So how do you feel about those cars that pay zero "road tax" yet use the road. Parasites?

I'm watching this thread with interest. While I agree with many of the comments I must say that ease and price of parking does affect my shopping habits. I'm not a leisure shopper so don't go into city or town centres unless I have to. Small out of town cluster of shops or 'destination' shops are what draw me. The shopping centre of Rotherham seems to have migrated a bit towards Parkgate for these reasons.

I'm watching this thread with interest. While I agree with many of the comments I must say that ease and price of parking does affect my shopping habits. I'm not a leisure shopper so don't go into city or town centres unless I have to. Small out of town cluster of shops or 'destination' shops are what draw me. The shopping centre of Rotherham seems to have migrated a bit towards Parkgate for these reasons.

I have to say parking is one of a number of reasons I don't shop in the city centre, the others being the lack of good shops, presence of drunks, chuggers and beggars, and the potential to be drenched if it rains. All those things send me straight to Meadowhall for any shopping.

I have to say parking is one of a number of reasons I don't shop in the city centre

Is it the parking charges or the lack of parking spaces? If the latter, then obviously the parking charges are not so high that they deter shoppers.

Is it the parking charges or the lack of parking spaces? If the latter, then obviously the parking charges are not so high that they deter shoppers.

They are high enough to deter some shoppers though. Are they deterring the right demographic though?

I know people who like to wander round the shops several times a week, they don't spend much though. We shop when we need to but we spend a lot then go. For me an hubby its lack of parking or not close enough to where we need to be (for speed, carrying or loading) and price of parking. It might take quite a bit of time to get to the shop(s) you want to get to if they are not close to where you have to park. As I said, we are not leisure shoppers that mooch for the sake of it.

Charges, definitely. There are generally spaces, although traffic is usually very bad. Even if it's say £5 for three or four hours (assuming the time I'd spend in Meadowhall shopping then going for lunch etc), that's still £5 that I'd prefer to have in my pocket than a parking meter. Every penny counts, as my mum used to say.

Charges, definitely. There are generally spaces, although traffic is usually very bad. Even if it's say £5 for three or four hours (assuming the time I'd spend in Meadowhall shopping then going for lunch etc), that's still £5 that I'd prefer to have in my pocket than a parking meter. Every penny counts, as my mum used to say.

If I'm buying something a bit big or heavy or lots of items I often can't park close enough. I end up ordering on line instead or shopping elsewhere. I have had to buy a shopping trolley. :blush: