Parking rip off (again) - 40% increase in charges

Litotes

Given the choice between paying or not paying, why wouldn't someone drive to Meadowhall? Plentiful free parking, at least as many shops, and indoors.

The city centre needs to have an advantage over MH, not the disadvantage of several quid and a 10 minute search for a parking space.

---------- Post added 03-10-2017 at 16:49 ----------

For me, being outdoors between shops is an advantage, at least when the weathers pleasant. I like to sit in the Peace Gardens, perhaps walk through the Winter Gardens. I suspect I'm not alone.

I have a car, I will drive to Meadowhall if I think I may be buying a few things, or something heavy. However I find Meadowhall fairly oppressive, especially when it's busy. I mainly use the tram whether in town or Meadowhall.

All areas outside the city centre are having the same increase.

This is the first price increase on council parking four and a half years.

The period of free parking that drivers can get in these areas is increasing as part of this change. It was 15 minutes, now it's 20 mins.

Wow, a whole 20 mins...

Maybe they could also set the clocks to the correct time in the machines while they update the parking signs

---------- Post added 06-10-2017 at 10:30 ----------

2. Our council may be inept and amateurish in many ways, but they provide a ton of services for our roads directly and through contractors. I believe in democracy and don't see what is to be gained by denigrating our representatives. The UK is the birthplace of democracy, why do so many people hate it?

Because many of our elected representatives abuse their positions, and are not fit for office. Citizens are sceptical or apathetic. Democracy works when people uphold the law and act with integrity and the public servants are held to account. Exactly how many SCC councillors fail in this regard is hard to say.

---------- Post added 06-10-2017 at 10:39 ----------

I have to say parking is one of a number of reasons I don't shop in the city centre, the others being the lack of good shops, presence of drunks, chuggers and beggars, and the potential to be drenched if it rains. All those things send me straight to Meadowhall for any shopping.

I have some German student friends who have come to Sheffield to study. Words fail them when they see girls lying on the streets (West Street) due to excessive alcohol. In Germany, they would call an ambulance if they ever came across such a thing. But here the drunk girls's friends consider it nrmal and have no concerns.

The worst thing about this is that the Germans were warned about the behaviour of British students and their drunken habits. How utterly shameful.

This is a reality of Britain of today.

What does this mean for the future, these students are our future......

What damage is this doing to their long term health?

Good luck to Great Britain standing on it's own in the world.

For me, being outdoors between shops is an advantage, at least when the weathers pleasant. I like to sit in the Peace Gardens, perhaps walk through the Winter Gardens. I suspect I'm not alone.

I have a car, I will drive to Meadowhall if I think I may be buying a few things, or something heavy. However I find Meadowhall fairly oppressive, especially when it's busy. I mainly use the tram whether in town or Meadowhall.

Why go shopping to be outside? You can do that when at home or from home to a park (if you don't have a balcony, yard or garden).

All shopping is oppressive if its busy. that's why I go as soon as the shops open or other off peak times.

I have some German student friends who have come to Sheffield to study. Words fail them when they see girls lying on the streets (West Street) due to excessive alcohol. In Germany, they would call an ambulance if they ever came across such a thing. But here the drunk girls's friends consider it nrmal and have no concerns.

The worst thing about this is that the Germans were warned about the behaviour of British students and their drunken habits. How utterly shameful.

This is a reality of Britain of today.

What does this mean for the future, these students are our future......

What damage is this doing to their long term health?

Good luck to Great Britain standing on it's own in the world.

I find this interesting as someone who is part German. :) I'm not saying you're wrong at all - indeed, many of my older family from Germany would be totally with them on this - but many of the younger Germans I know would be quite used to it, particularly those from the bigger cities.

That said, it's a different drinking culture in my experience. I remember teens being allowed to drink with meals, but responsibly. I'm over 40 now, but my experience as a young person drinking in Germany was more like the experience I have now when I go out. It's a social thing, rather than about getting as drunk as possible. I remember drinking a lot of half pints of different beers in pubs, trying different things etc. It was more about the nights out than trying to get drunk. It's one of the reasons I like going to Germany.

I think the concept of 'pre-drinks' sums that up - trying to get drunk before you go out?! Seems so alien to me.

indeed, I recommended Lilotes move to the North East of the city to take advantage of the zero council tax or rent we apparently pay, and the lack of parking charges (which are exploited daily by NHS staff parking around the NGH for FREE, then taking the FREE H1 shuttle bus to the Hallamshire, leaving us freeloaders in the North East unable to park near our own homes) ...

Wow - sounds like you want the council to spend come of the £3M they rip off from the SW on the NE to introduce parking zones (Like they promised many many years ago).

Be careful what you wish for...

House prices down, shops closing, less parking on the streets (about a 20% reduction in actual spaces due to the over-zealous men with the yellow line machine)...

Oh well, all you have to do is to get the council to run a ballot when no-one is at home and then get them to ignore the result.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up this old thread. I am a visitor to Sharrow where I often use a visitor's parking permit.

These parking permits used to say that they were valid for the day that was filled in on the front right until 10am the following day.

They don't say this any longer and so I called up the Council parking services to find out if this was still true.

The lady on the phone told me that it wasn't. I would have to use another ticket for the following day. My host has to pay 50p for each ticket and they are only allowed to purchase a maximum of 150 per year.

This will affect my future use and I thought I would share this information.

I guess parking charges are always something to be moaned about wherever you live. When I moved to Lichfield from Sheffield nine years ago the locals here told me how expensive parking was until I pointed out to them that you could only park in Sheffield for half an hour for what they were paying for a whole day in Lichfield.