Folk clubs in 1960s

wrawbyfred

Hello,during the 1960s I along with my wife ( now of 47 years)used to attend folk clubs in sheffield, I remember the three cranes, the grapes on trippet lane and one on scotland street where we saw the late great alex campbell but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the pub or who ran it. Any one out there with a better memory than me? Cheers.

Hello,during the 1960s I along with my wife ( now of 47 years)used to attend folk clubs in sheffield, I remember the three cranes, the grapes on trippet lane and one on scotland street where we saw the late great alex campbell but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the pub or who ran it. Any one out there with a better memory than me? Cheers.

The only pub on Scotland Street I recall is the 'Crown'. In the 60's it was ran by a family called Bennett, they had a son, Michael.

I remember seeing Alex Campbell, great night, the place was heaving everyone was in a sweat. My memory is that it was in a pub half way down Bank Street, but I could be wrong. My favourite was the Highcliffe at Greystones, Capstick was usually present.

• 2 weeks later...

Folk clubs seemed to blossom and die with great regularity in the 60's and 70's.

Three I can remember are:1. In the upstairs room of the pub at the corner of Division St and Carver St (Prince of Wales?) This attracted some fairly high profile performers in its brief life. I can remember Tony Capstick putting in the briefest of performance when, after about a minute, he fell off his stool, banged his head and retired injured. 2. In 1968 in the White Lion at Heeley. This only lasted about two or three weeks and had nothing to do with the Glyn Senior promoted Blues nights around the same time or shortly after. 3. In the Minerva on Charles Street. Again this lasted only a few weeks before folding.

Edited by Person6