As an ebay seller am I going to get rinsed

I have recently sold about 40 CDs on ebay received positive feedback about 20 of them but have had a request to return 14 of them sold to the same person the reason being that they are faulty.

I think the chances of just the 14 the buyer bought which were 14 of about 25 that they bid on being the only faulty ones out of 40 sold is about a million to one and the buyer was an absolute pain from start to finish re post and packing costs.

I am disputing this but fear ebay will side with the buyer so any advice on what to do, not to do.

The items all stated “no returns accepted”
Then you don't have to accept the returns.

In my experience (18 years buying/selling on eBay, only ever 2nd hand stuff, same account)-

yes, eBay frequently side with the buyers, but mostly those buyers who 'have been had' and those less scrupulous buyers who know and use the typical traps (e.g. buyers who do not specify 'no returns' in their listings, who do not send stuff with tracked post/courier (and/or do not input the tracking code in the eBay system), who do not take evidence of serial numbers before despatching <etc, etc. - yes, it has turned into a minefield in the past few years>).

but eBay also sides with sellers when buyers are clearly taking the proverbial and the seller can prove it (on a 'balance of probabilities' scale, not 'up to the hilt').

As a seller, I've certainly had at least 4 (IIRC) 'wins' against fraudster buyers over the years. But only because I had the evidence to put enough doubt in eBay's mind to side with me.

Given the few details you've provided (and given that your messaging exchanges about P&P will be visible to eBay support team, as will your positive feedback on the other 20 CDs, plus the fact that this seller wants to return all of them rather than just one or two which could have been genuinely faulty/scratched/whatever), I'd like to think eBay will side with you on this one.

The above is in respect of 2nd hand goods though, mileage will vary a lot for professional eBay sellers who sell new and recon'd stuff (for which the Distance Selling Regs apply in full, AFAIU).

Edited by L00b