Mass shooting at Las Vegas music festival

There are 300 million guns in the US (I don't know if this includes illegally held ones). The genie is out of the bottle. Any sort of effective gun control would mean confiscation. It's not going to happen.
Between the lobbying strength of the NRA and the fact that, even in countries without 2nd Amendment-like legislation, confiscation doesn't work, that's a complete non-starter in the US.

Amnesties work, to an extent...but you have to run them time and again over years and years and, considering the US scale (300m firearms est.), decades at best.

My family and I have been through 4 or 5 confiscation-cum-amnesty exercises in France over the past, what, 5 or 6 decades? Everybody (figure of speech: let's say very many) around in small villages and towns has had unregistered 'stuff' since before WW2 and still has, besides the legitimately-held and legally-registered hunting tools they may have. All local police forces have known it through the ages, and never done nowt. Between just after WW2 and until the early 90s, blind eyes were turned because the Soviets could be coming. And since, because they have got ever less staff/time/budgets, and as the local 'knowledge' (of who has likely what stashed likely where) has withered as generations of policemen succeed one another. You'd have exactly the same in the US.

"An AR-15 you say, officer? Nope, never got me one of these, your records must be mistaken"

Rinse-repeat 300m times, and figure the likelihood and associated timescales of applying for, receiving and then executing search warrants 300m times (-ish, accounting for multiple ownership).

You could double the US police forces and the US judiciary and still you wouldn't be making much of a dent.

For stuff already in circulation, there is likely only (very) long-term solutions.

Edited by L00b

people kill people is that too hard for you, its just a choice of weapon be it machete, axe, bomb or gun and many other household objects? its the nutter thats holding any weapon thats the problem try thinking out of the box!

Could always try removing the gun out of the equation and seeing how few people said person can kill. I would love to see the carnage a nutter can inflict with a hoover :)

BTW, what household are YOU in that contains a bomb?

---------- Post added 03-10-2017 at 13:38 ----------

Report in the Guardian yesterday saying the shooter could have been using a hand crank device to make his semi-auto rifles fire faster. These things are apparently legal, too.

There are 300 million guns in the US (I don't know if this includes illegally held ones). The genie is out of the bottle. Any sort of effective gun control would mean confiscation. It's not going to happen.

Although Chris Rock's idea of letting people keep their guns but just charge $10,000 per bullet is a thought.

A SEVERE curtailment of places where you can get ammo would be a massive start. After all, should you really be able to get your ammo at the same store you get your groceries?

Another thought, allow the guns but ban the ammo. It would fit in with the second amendment which says the right to bears arms, NOT the bullets :) Lets see how many the idiots can kill with an empty gun :)

people kill people is that too hard for you, its just a choice of weapon be it machete, axe, bomb or gun and many other household objects? its the nutter thats holding any weapon thats the problem try thinking out of the box!

Do you think that’s why we’re unable to defeat the Taliban and ISIS / ISIL ?

We’re using guns and bombs when we should be using garden tools and washing up liquid?

You might have a point there hun

My family and I have been through 4 or 5 confiscation-cum-amnesty exercises in France over the past, what, 5 or 6 decades? Everybody (figure of speech: let's say very many) around in small villages and towns has had unregistered 'stuff' since before WW2 and still has, besides the legitimately-held and legally-registered hunting tools they may have.

Yes. I did wonder once why an M1 carbine was mentioned as as an example, falling into one category of French firearms law. Then the penny dropped. There must have been a lot of discarded arms left lying around post-1944.

Yes. I did wonder once why an M1 carbine was mentioned as as an example, falling into one category of French firearms law. Then the penny dropped. There must have been a lot of discarded arms left lying around post-1944.
In 'our' neck of the woods, the discarded stuff (still being found daily, btw) goes back to 1870 :|

In 'our' neck of the woods, the discarded stuff (still being found daily, btw) goes back to 1870 :|

When the Prussians marched on Paris? That's amazing.

PS The shooter in Las Vegas had one fully automatic weapon and two semi auto assault rifles effectively converted to full auto by the means of "bump stock" devices. Which are legal, which stuns me, as it is a blatant side stepping of the law, surely?

When the Prussians marched on Paris? That's amazing.
Indeed, although the Prussian War "iron harvest" is seriously diminishing: generally well south of a (metric) ton a year, nowadays. For the later two World Wars, though...there's a while to go yet :(

I briefly worked with these guys (Déminage) during my National Service. 2 died on the job since then. Now there's a seriously-underpaid public service job.

PS The shooter in Las Vegas had one fully automatic weapon and two semi auto assault rifles effectively converted to full auto by the means of "bump stock" devices. Which are legal, which stuns me, as it is a blatant side stepping of the law, surely?
It's a US neck of the woods where pretty much 'anything goes', armaments-wise.

There's years and years' worth of Youtube videos of people (including kindergarten-age kids) 'having a fun day' shooting belt-fed machine guns at ranges in Utah, Arizona, Nevada <etc>. I'm talking WW1 & 2-era Vickers and Vietnam-era M60 jobs. So legal bump stocks, in proportion...cat's pee, really :|