Poor Theresa May

Corbyn has already said we need a new kind of politics, and has already tried to change some things, and been laughed at and harangued for it by the Tories, eg taking questions from the public into PM's questiontime, and trying to imbue the house of commons with some dignity and respect instead of the rowdy bearpit it usually is. He's also moved the centre ground in politics to the left a bit and made the Tories (well, Theresa May,) change their tune on some policies. Thing is, the Tories will backtrack, whereas JC is a conviction politician, says what he means, and I don't think he will.

You say he probably won't change things. I say he's already started without even being in power. I think we should at least give him a chance.

But he's still at odds with a large chunk of his party. He can only ever really represent one half of his voters on any given policy. For example Brexit-light will keep his city dwelling middle class voters happy but **** off the ignored traditional working classes in the former industrial labour heartlands.

But he's still at odds with a large chunk of his party. He can only ever really represent one half of his voters on any given policy. For example Brexit-light will keep his city dwelling middle class voters happy but **** off the ignored traditional working classes in the former industrial labour heartlands.

Do you mean the Blairite half of Labour? I think that now they see he has a chance of winning they'll fall into line quite quickly with his policies. They care more about their seats than principles. They must surely see that the ground has moved from under them and they are yesterday's men if they persist in their pre crash thinking, - although they will surely bring some balance to the party if handled in the right way. Corbyn has never shied away from other points of view and full and frank discussions.

If you mean the Brexit division, don't you think that's just as true of the Tory party? I think Brexit negotiations should be cross party anyway. Both Tories and Labour have a full complement of Brexiters and remainers. It defies party lines.

But I genuinely think Corbyn could do a better job at the negotiating table

than Theresa May. It's what he does. And his only concern I think would be to get the best deal he could for Britain, whereas I suspect the Tories have some degree of self interest at heart and too many lobbyists to keep sweet.

Therein lies the problem, your "truths" are informed by your politics.

You will have noticed this first hand on the Brexit thread. This is why experts like Mark Carney and Mervyn King can't agree on the most basic facts on how our economy is performing because they're at opposite ends of the political spectrum. Your politics taints everything.

They're truths that are being increasingly recognised by the user 50s.

There are not esoteric illusory arguments. They are realities being faced by most people under 50, by the disabled etc...

Tory policy (and before New Labour policy) is responsible for a lot of problems people face every day.

Gove was just on R4 Today talking nonsense about how in the last 2017 election May and the Tories got more votes than in any election, since 1983. You really would have thought that a senior Tory like that would be at least basically familiar with the numbers, and the fact that even though 1983 was the the biggest Tory win in terms of seats won, they received LESS votes, than in any of their four consecutive election wins 1979-92.

1992 was the election where the Tories got the most votes in any election which ended up with a Tory PM. Tory vote share was highest in 1979 in Thatcher's first win, when the Liberal vote was still tiny compared to what it later became.

RECENT TORY ELECTION WINS

TOTAL TORY VOTES

1979 : 13.7m

1983 : 13.1m

1987 : 13.8m

1992 : 14.1m

2010 : 10.8m

2015 : 11.3m

2017 : 13.7m

TORY VOTE SHARE

1979 : 44%

1983 : 42%

1987 : 42%

1992 : 42%

2010 : 36%

2015 : 37%

2017 : 42%

Edited by blake

Sad that they arrested Simon Brodkin for Breach of the peace. There was no way his stunt was "unlawful violence".

He's been released without charge, and the police lay the blame squarely at Tory vetting procedures.

Little known fact perhaps but Brodkin although now a comedian is a qualified doctor, and worked for years in hospitals.

Dr Simon Brodkin must have sounded great on his application for conference accreditation. :hihi:

Tory administrators must be complete idiots.

He's been released without charge, and the police lay the blame squarely at Tory vetting procedures.

Little known fact perhaps but Brodkin although now a comedian is a qualified doctor, and worked for years in hospitals.

Dr Simon Brodkin must have sounded great on his application for conference accreditation. :hihi:

Tory administrators must be complete idiots.

I wonder in what capacity he was actually at that conference anyway? I can't see him going to the trouble of becoming a Conservative party member.

Do you mean the Blairite half of Labour? I think that now they see he has a chance of winning they'll fall into line quite quickly with his policies. They care more about their seats than principles. They must surely see that the ground has moved from under them and they are yesterday's men if they persist in their pre crash thinking, - although they will surely bring some balance to the party if handled in the right way. Corbyn has never shied away from other points of view and full and frank discussions.

If you mean the Brexit division, don't you think that's just as true of the Tory party? I think Brexit negotiations should be cross party anyway. Both Tories and Labour have a full complement of Brexiters and remainers. It defies party lines.

But I genuinely think Corbyn could do a better job at the negotiating table

than Theresa May. It's what he does. And his only concern I think would be to get the best deal he could for Britain, whereas I suspect the Tories have some degree of self interest at heart and too many lobbyists to keep sweet.

No, rank and file. Just because hes got a lot of young hip things under his spell Im sure alot of ex-miners thik hes a waste of space. If he had every ex-labour voter on side, he would have won. And he didnt by some considerable distance.