Misogynistic hideousness - a fresh outburst.

In a hideously and tiresomely familiar outburst of misogyny a Swedish model receives rape threats via social media - her crime? Daring to do a photoshoot without shaving her legs.

What can we do to change society so that this kind of toxic masculinity ceases to exist?

Story here -

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/06/swedish-model-gets-threats-after-ad-shows-her-unshaved-legs?CMP=fb_gu

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of bile spouted at people through social media.

Yes it is just an opinion - but if we wanted their opinion it would be asked for.

The women are worse so if women can be misogynists i'm with you.

I think the problem is more with social media than anything else. Theres bile by the pint on there - and a few drops on here sadly from time to time.

Too fat? Fair game. Too thin? Fair game? Hairy legs? Fair game. Wrong politics? Fair game. Why anyone would post images of themselves on instagram and the like puzzles me. Youll always get abuse.

Reading some of the hateful comments that she has received say a great deal about her abusers: immature, shallow, illiterate idiots.

Sadly gormlessness seems to be celebrated at the moment. What people in society need to do is develop a stigma against the kind of idiot that posts their abuse online. As well as social media organisations taking a stricter approach to the hate that fill their sites.

Reading some of the hateful comments that she has received say a great deal about her abusers: immature, shallow, illiterate idiots.

Sadly gormlessness seems to be celebrated at the moment. What people in society need to do is develop a stigma against the kind of idiot that posts their abuse online. As well as social media organisations taking a stricter approach to the hate that fill their sites.

I agree with you up to a point ie at what point do you draw the line. Threats of rape is an easy one to draw, but then where? I watched a snippet of Russell Howard's show the other night (yeah, I know ;)) He was going on about models where posting slightly inappropriate pics on instagram showing support for victims of the recent hurricanes in the Caribbean. I.e. pics of said scantily clad model on a sunny beach somewhere. This was ripe for ridicule. I doubt the model was contacted, but she's the butt of the joke and probably got some additional crappy comments about it. She probably felt bad about being the punchline to a Russell Howard's gag.

Was any of the whole episode necessary? Did a model need to put up the tasteless pics up in the first place? Was it newsworthy enough for Russell Howard's free hit on somebody he doesn't know (and who probably doesn't know him)? He's another symptom of online bullying - TV shows where everyone gets to pile on a social media trend, maybe get on the telly and legitimise being a **** to strangers. Or is it legit critism of yet another narcissistic instagram account.

Lots of questions, few answers.

Just look at the US elections

Idiots, total idiots.

---------- Post added 06-10-2017 at 19:58 ----------

I think the problem is more with social media than anything else. Theres bile by the pint on there - and a few drops on here sadly from time to time.

Too fat? Fair game. Too thin? Fair game? Hairy legs? Fair game. Wrong politics? Fair game. Why anyone would post images of themselves on instagram and the like puzzles me. Youll always get abuse.

Its a fantastic platform for the anonymous numpties who without the internet would never be heard.

If you stick photos of yourself to thousands of people some people somewhere are going to give you grief,if you're so called perfect some will be jealous if you have blemishes some will pick on them,haven't used social media and don't intend to,there's some sick people about.

I agree with you up to a point ie at what point do you draw the line. Threats of rape is an easy one to draw, but then where? I watched a snippet of Russell Howard's show the other night (yeah, I know ;)) He was going on about models where posting slightly inappropriate pics on instagram showing support for victims of the recent hurricanes in the Caribbean. I.e. pics of said scantily clad model on a sunny beach somewhere. This was ripe for ridicule. I doubt the model was contacted, but she's the butt of the joke and probably got some additional crappy comments about it. She probably felt bad about being the punchline to a Russell Howard's gag.

Was any of the whole episode necessary? Did a model need to put up the tasteless pics up in the first place? Was it newsworthy enough for Russell Howard's free hit on somebody he doesn't know (and who probably doesn't know him)? He's another symptom of online bullying - TV shows where everyone gets to pile on a social media trend, maybe get on the telly and legitimise being a **** to strangers. Or is it legit critism of yet another narcissistic instagram account.

Lots of questions, few answers.

What was tasteless about them?