Old pound coins

They are no longer legal tender after that date so if u get gives one don't accept it

Yes, but what if the retailer says you can still deposit them in the bank, so you're just going to have to accept them.

Will I be within my rights to insist on having new ones in exchange?

Yes, but what if the retailer says you can still deposit them in the bank, so you're just going to have to accept them.

Yes. Why should you have to queue in bank because the assistant has accepted old coins from another customer.

You are within your rights to refuse them in the same way us retailers are within our rights not to accept them.

Banks will not accept them either only the Bank of England in London .

Yes they will, or at least most banks will;

The Royal Mint's Website says the following;

"What should I do with my round £1 coins after Sunday 15th October?

Although you cannot spend your round £1 coins after the 15th October, they can continue to be deposited into a customer’s account, either business or personal, at most High Street Banks including RBS, NatWest, Ulster, HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Santander, Nationwide, Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland and The Post Office. It may be possible to exchange round £1 coins at these banks and the Post Office provided you hold an account with them. Specific arrangements may vary from bank to bank, including deposit limits. It is recommended that you consult with your bank directly.

You can also donate any remaining round pounds to charity. We have joined forces with BBC Children in Need for Pudsey’s Round Pound Countdown. For more details visit: https://www.bbcchildreninneed.co.uk/pudseys-round-pound-countdown"

My only caveat to that would be another comment from the same site;

"What do I do if I think I have been given counterfeit coins?

Using counterfeit coins is illegal. If you have a counterfeit or suspect that a coin may be a counterfeit, please hand it in to your local police station."

i.e. the banks will only accept real ones, and since such a comparatively high proportion are forgeries, holding on to your piggy bank may be disadvantageous. ;)

Edited by peak4

What do I do if I think I have been given counterfeit coins?

Using counterfeit coins is illegal. If you have a counterfeit or suspect that a coin may be a counterfeit, please hand it in to your local police station."

If you are of limited income and receive a fake pound and hand it into the police are you refunded? If not can you seek address from the retailer you got it from? What if you had been in several shops that day and didn't know which retailer you got it from? If you cannot get redress have you technically been robbed?

There seems a lot of unanswered questions about all this.

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 03:59 ----------

Not a case of caveat emptor but of scrutinising every item of change at every transaction annoying the hell out of everybody in the queue and the retailer or end up with the possibility of subsequently, albeit innocently, performing an illegal act. I hope I am wrong about all this because it just doesn't feel right or well thought out. You could end up being the guilty party when surely it is the counterfeiter. Can you legally refuse to accept a coin that you only suspect is counterfeit?