White Male privilege

Guest makapaka
Encouaraging women and ethnic minorities is a good thing and white males aren't excluded from the police force, so that's as close as you're going to get to an answer on that from me.

Now, what's your view on 'taking a knee'?

Why did you and why do you keep asking him that?

It’s not really connected to the points he is making - do you even know how taking the knee started? It was following the lay-by shooting of Philando Castile by a police man in America.

Are you suggesting car boots comments on police recruitment are framed by his views on shooting people dead in America - cos if you are that seems unfair based on the points he is making.

I'll take race out of the equation. As a woman, born just after WWII into an ordinary family, I have personal experience of discrimination in the world of work. In the first few admin jobs I had, all, or nearly all the managers were men even though most of my colleagues were women. I was turned down for the first promotion I applied for in favour of a young man who wasn't as competent as me, or most of our female colleagues. When I asked why, my boss said 'he needed the job as he had a family'. So did I, but men were still prioritised. That was in the late 70s. When I left the organisation in the 90s, that guy was still on that first rung promotion, I was in management. Times were changing.

It's taken women,in general , and across all socio economic groups, a long time to achieve equality. There has been media cover of women working for local authorities whose jobs were valued at lower pay bands than men doing work of a similar level. So,to give some women, some coaching to enable them to achieve employment where they are under represented is fine by me.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

I'll take race out of the equation. As a woman, born just after WWII into an ordinary family, I have personality experience of discrimination in the world of work. In the first few admin jobs I had, all, or nearly all the managers were men even though most of my colleagues were women. I was turned down for the first promotion I applied for in favour of a young man who wasn't as competent as me, or most of our female colleagues. When I asked why, my boss said 'he needed the job as he had a family'. So did I, but men were still prioritised. That was in the late 70s. When I left the organisation in the 90s, that guy was still on that first rung promotion, I was in management. Times were changing.

It's taken women,in general , and across all socio economic groups, a long time to achieve equality. There has been media cover of women working for local authorities whose jobs were valued at lower pay bands than men doing work of a similar level. So,to give some women, some coaching to enable them to achieve employment where they are under represented is fine by me.

Thats the thing, that was also part of my original op but certain people are hung up on race.

Theres also the recent "pay" inequality that surfaced recently regarding the BBC and the Weinstein events have also showed how rich males in power treat females like toys.

Like you said, Women have only recently been gaining more equality in the workplace / management.

Thats the thing, that was also part of my original op but certain people are hung up on race.

Theres also the recent "pay" inequality that surfaced recently regarding the BBC and the Weinstein events have also showed how rich males in power treat females like toys.

Like you said, Women have only recently been gaining more equality in the workplace / management.

So now instead of a white male boss we can afford the luxury of a black male, or a white [cis :P]female one.. great.

Next topic..

Arguably they still haven't achieved it, it's a lot better than it was though.

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 15:58 ----------

'Encouraging participation', as you delightfully put it, means excluding those who don't meet the eligibility criteria on race and sex - through no fault of their own.

Encouraging participation shouldn't mean racial and sexual discrimination, but in this case it does. Either we have equality for all - or we have equality for none.

The common cry whenever a disadvantaged group is somehow given special assistance.

As if equality means that the already advantaged group need access to the special assistance as well. :roll:

Why did you and why do you keep asking him that?

Because I suspect his (probably fake) outrage at the BTP encouraging more applicants who are women and from black and ethnic minority groups may be a smokescreen to try and hide a white supremacist viewpoint.

It’s not really connected to the points he is making - do you even know how taking the knee started? It was following the lay-by shooting of Philando Castile by a police man in America.

It's intimately connected - the dialogue about taking a knee has been revealing entrenched racist attitudes from many people.

Are you suggesting car boots comments on police recruitment are framed by his views on shooting people dead in America - cos if you are that seems unfair based on the points he is making.

I'm suggesting that Car Boot may be a closet racist since he's very carefully avoided the point that the police service is largely made up of white men.

Because I suspect his (probably fake) outrage at the BTP encouraging more applicants who are women and from black and ethnic minority groups may be a smokescreen to try and hide a white supremacist viewpoint.

It's intimately connected - the dialogue about taking a knee has been revealing entrenched racist attitudes from many people.

I'm suggesting that Car Boot may be a closet racist since he's very carefully avoided the point that the police service is largely made up of white men.

Surprisingly enough so is the population for now, what do you suggest?