Is it time for a united Ireland

That's what Nationalists do that's why they are called Nationalists.

If you are referring to the catholic population you would be very wrong.

As has been said earlier there is an increasing number of .

FHS.. there are 2 political positions on Ireland ..nationalists who want a united Ireland and unionists who want north Ireland to be part of the UK.i don't think you know the subject at hand ..

Sinn Fein are fast becoming the largest party in the 32 counties. Says enough in more ways than one

Hi West Tinsley. I suspect that Annie Bynnol knows a little bit more about the subject that you are giving her credit for. On another thread you claimed that 95% of the Catalans wanted to separate from Spain when in fact the Seperatists own polls put the figure at 45%. In the event only 30% eligible to vote did so and were in fact Independence supporters. Now, the leader of the Catalan “ Parliament” seems to be in a mess of his own creating never expecting to win the vote. Ditto with Johnson et al in UK, never expecting to win a Referendum.

As a cradle Catholic who has now firmly rejected the faith I would never want to be part of a country such as the Irish Republic where the Church has so much power and influence

---------- Post added 18-10-2017 at 22:42 ----------

Notwithstanding the above message I wish Sinn Fein well

United Ireland? Sure, as long as it's the Republic that rejoins the UK.

The reason for its 1922 departure (lack of devolution) seems now to be curable [cf Scotland, Wales, NI].

The events of 1922 are the basis of understanding the current political situation north and south of the border.

Very simply:

Devolution was offered and rejected by every single group in Ireland up to that point.

The setting up of a Government in Dublin splintered the nationalist movement into those who wanted to accept unconditionally, those who would accept conditionally in the pursuit of full independence and those who rejected as they wanted immediate independence.

The civil war that followed eventually led to the creation of the Republic in 1937/1949 and the creation of the two main parties in the Republic and the IRA in the south.

The Unionists in the northern six counties refused Dublin but forced a devolution with far greater powers than now which led to...civil rights movement...troubles ...PIRA etc.

Independance and devolution do not equate.

Reason and curable are not words associated with Irish politics then or now.

• 2 weeks later...