Women are 'Plus-Sized' and Men are 'Fat'

As a person who looks androgynous, with not many curves and not particularly feminine, as I wear a load of black , I've had the odd remark or two in the past. It was worse when I was underweight. It's not nice, but then again, neither are the people who are giving it out. I believe in being nice to people, regardless of looks etc. That is until they give me a reason not to be.

Well said amber.

Well said amber.

Which, i think, everyone agrees with. The issue is, in these days of political correctness and feminism, why are women referred to as plus-sized but men are fat/overweight?

And, why is it OK for women to not be attracted to fat men, but not OK for men not to be attracted to plus-sized women as that is anti-feminist and fatphobic?

Which, i think, everyone agrees with. The issue is, in these days of political correctness and feminism, why are women referred to as plus-sized but men are fat/overweight?

And, why is it OK for women to not be attracted to fat men, but not OK for men not to be attracted to plus-sized women as that is anti-feminist and fatphobic?

I suppose it depends on context.... In a medical setting, referring to someone, male or female as 'overweight' is just a statement of fact. Another matter is if you're in a pub, and you overhear someone describing a man as 'fat', you could always chip in & correct them by telling them to use the adjective 'plus size' - if it's a bugbear of yours.

I don't think that men who are not attracted bigger women should be frightened by publically saying so. I think it is okay to be attracted to whoever.

The two issues to me here are:

1. Yes, you should be able to find whoever you like attractive. But, there has been much in the world of feminism around 'fatphobia' (I agree, horrible word, but it is used by the people I'm talking about) where it is, apparently, discrimination against larger women if a man says he doesn't find them attractive because he prefers slimmer women

2. In the stories and videos I've seen on this, the women are 'plus-sized' and the men are 'fat/overweight'. Why? Why is one seen in a positive light and the other not?

I'm not saying that women aren't unfairly treated, but is the answer to this that, whilst women are striving for more empowerment, should this include belittling men at the same time?

What stories and videos?

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 20:09 ----------

Isnt what we find attractive in our DNA, young and slim with a few curves. Which means we don't find fat/obese/porky people as attractive. There is a little lee-way either side.

It's at least as much about social conditioning, probably more.

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 20:13 ----------

Where?

In some specific sites you looked up in order to be outraged?

It's perfectly okay, nobody believes it isn't.

What stories and videos?

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 20:09 ----------

It's at least as much about social conditioning, probably more.

---------- Post added 13-10-2017 at 20:13 ----------

Where?

In some specific sites you looked up in order to be outraged?

It's perfectly okay, nobody believes it isn't.

You must have some cosy corner of social media which must be shaded from all of this.

Because i'm tired and on my phone, i'll use the feminist M.O.:

Google it - it's not for me to educate you.

If i had access to a computer i would link the hell out of it, but i can't be bothered right now.

You must have some cosy corner of social media which must be shaded from all of this.

Because i'm tired and on my phone, i'll use the feminist M.O.:

Google it - it's not for me to educate you.

If i had access to a computer i would link the hell out of it, but i can't be bothered right now.

You made the claims, you prove that it happens.

It doesn't work like that. If you are making claims then we expect you to back them up with reputable sources.

I explained that if i'd had access to a computer and more time i would have provided links... as it is, i'm using my phone to post and it's a faff.

Just Google-ing the title of the thread will produce results and there are numerous feminist/anti-feminist videos on YouTube that back up my original post.

The time it's taken someone to respond to me asking for an answer, they could have searched the 'net.

Close the thread if you must, but i'll start another in the future with links. Or, people can be pro-active.