Crookes History

Hi Geoff. There were two! There was one by the cinema in the centre of Crookes and there was another one, now flats! - just above where the Kandy Kabin was that we've been talking about - in fact, they must have been almost next door.

For a picture of the one you were meaning go to - http://www.picturesheffield.com

Get the keyboard index - click C. Scroll down to Crookes Picture House and Bingo! (Not quite, but you have the location of those famed matinees!)

Perhaps I should point out that the Co-op is now where the picture house was. Previously, the store was at the other side of Newent Lane. There became a supermarket either side of the Lane, but the Co-op moved across to take up an existing liquor licence.

Durango Kid was my favourite. He rode of the cliff on his horse at the end and, blow me, next week he'd survived. That was before the Bolehills football matches with the Harris's came about.

Geoff

Does anyone remember a family named Greatbatch from the Crookes area pre and just slightly post war?

There was a family called Greatbatch that lived on Stannington View Road in the 40's, I went to Crookes Endowed school with Ruby Greatbatch.

I've found your mum-in-law's family in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, at 26 Elgin Street. She might remember next-door neighbours the Sigsworths at No 24 and Robinsons at No 28.

There were also the Shepards, Frost's & Beardshaws that lived on there.

remember the chip shop at the bottom of bolehill lane.

There was a bloke who lived a few doors above the chippy, he was POW & came home in the 40's, the papers etc were there and it was a big day for Crookes, there were many people there to welcome him home too, the majority standing on what was spare land at the bottom of B/H lane, they later built a swing park there from memory.

This couple named Greatbatch lived on Toyne Street, Crookes until 1951.

I believe they were related to Sydney Greatbatch and Ruby Greatbatch who people have kindly mentioned on here. Having been in touch with a distant Greatbatch, I seem to think that Ruby is still with us.

If my memory is correct they lived next door to a family named Cammack?

Duffems