Crookes History

Anyone remember the off licence on the corner of Cobden view and school road? ... I once got my finger stuck to the ice in the freezer there when I was about 4 .lol had a huge blister on it afterwards and it didnt half hurt! :D

The owner at one time (60s) was called Yeardley. Just across was Ridal's builder's yard and to widen the thread, just below was Turner's wet fish shop, Walshaw's sweet shop and an antique shop and milliners.

On the other side, above the doctors, was the shop in the corner (hairdressers ?), a bakery enterprise, Robinson's newsagents, and others included; Platts' chip shop (they had a son called "Butch"), a butcher's shop,

Harry Bell's barber, where the chemist is, and Bull's cobblers. The daughter was called Celia.

There was also another fish and chip shop at the end of Sackville Road/School Road - almost opposite the dentist. Can't remember the surname of the fryer but his first name was Ogden and he was keen on racing.

geoffusa - You must remember those shopkeepers?

The owner at one time (60s) was called Yeardley. Just across was Ridal's builder's yard and to widen the thread, just below was Turner's wet fish shop, Walshaw's sweet shop and an antique shop and milliners.

On the other side, above the doctors, was the shop in the corner (hairdressers ?), a bakery enterprise, Robinson's newsagents, and others included; Platts' chip shop (they had a son called "Butch"), a butcher's shop,

Harry Bell's barber, where the chemist is, and Bull's cobblers. The daughter was called Celia.

There was also another fish and chip shop at the end of Sackville Road/School Road - almost opposite the dentist. Can't remember the surname of the fryer but his first name was Ogden and he was keen on racing.

geoffusa - You must remember those shopkeepers?

Aww yes I remember the builders yard ( now converted to houses if Im correct ).. the sweetshop and across the road the butchers (used to get big bones for the dog) the chippy and news agents.

What was the shop on the corner of Western/School road? I remember their being a bubbly machine outside it and me and a mate getting loads of bubbles out of it one night .. think we broke it..lol

Aww yes I remember the builders yard ( now converted to houses if Im correct ).. the sweetshop and across the road the butchers (used to get big bones for the dog) the chippy and news agents.

What was the shop on the corner of Western/School road? I remember their being a bubbly machine outside it and me and a mate getting loads of bubbles out of it one night .. think we broke it..lol

The shop as I knew it was a greengrocers called Furniss's - Tommy and Laura - had an excellent name and was very busy, especially on Saturday mornings - diagonally Greenwood's the GP. It later became a furniture shop and other things but as I didn't 'do' bubble gum, I don't remember the machine, although I do recall those multi-coloured balls - and a few years later, played cricket with a man who probably owned it!

If this refers to "K. & N. Pokes, newsagents" of 18 Barber Road, they were still there in 1972 according to the local business directory.
Thats odd as I'm almost certain they were on Crookes though I'm thinking mid 70's-unless they moved from there.