Crookes History

The owner at one time (60s) was called Yeardley. Just across was Ridal's builder's yard and to widen the thread, just below was Turner's wet fish shop, Walshaw's sweet shop and an antique shop and milliners.

On the other side, above the doctors, was the shop in the corner (hairdressers ?), a bakery enterprise, Robinson's newsagents, and others included; Platts' chip shop (they had a son called "Butch"), a butcher's shop,

Harry Bell's barber, where the chemist is, and Bull's cobblers. The daughter was called Celia.

There was also another fish and chip shop at the end of Sackville Road/School Road - almost opposite the dentist. Can't remember the surname of the fryer but his first name was Ogden and he was keen on racing.

geoffusa - You must remember those shopkeepers?

Had a crew cut at Harry Bells when I was very young. My Mum never forgave Harry. I didn't like it either, but my mate Geoffrey Busby had one and so must I. Mrs Turner at the fish shop in her white overalls and I think wellies.

The newsagent for the Tiger - Ar yes I remember it well

Geoff

Then the butchers, just below, which once was Carneys, had been Mabbutts much earlier?

I think it was Keith Carney. His Dad was Jack and a very good snooker player. He played snooker with my Dad, Steve at the Florist and later with me also as I developed the taste. Jim Baxter of the fishing paper also was a mean cue handler. Do you remember Graham Morfett from Cobden View? and Leslie Roddis?

Geoff

Just been looking at some great pictures of the Crookes I knew on the Sheffield Pictures site, what I thought was the off licence below the drink shop turned out to be Revills grocers shop, but I seem to think they sold beer & wine too ?

Having watched the BMX races at the Olympics, it took me back to the cycle speedway of the 60's around the "cookhouse". I am aware there is a BMX facility on the Bole Hills but for those who didn't know the Bole Hills of the 60's, it belonged to the Education Committee and just on the land from the police houses was the Education Meals building surrounding by a beautiful, oval and evenly-concreted track.

The person at the helm of the cycle speedway was then-King Edward's pupil, Roy Jessop and that bit of sport provided hours of entertainment as we tried to copy what we'd observed at Owlerton stadium!

Does anyone remember the corner shop on Mulehouse Road that had all the melted sweets in the window. I think the woman that had it in the '70s now runs Nirmals on West Street. If you went in and only had half a pence, she'd bite a penny sweet in half and put the other half back in the jar.

Can only remember the little toy shop on the corner-Toyland- that sold jokes on a revolving stand.I bought the set of Glow Monsters there that were like Airfix kits.From what I recall there was Godzilla,Dracula,Frankenstein,King Kong and The Hunchback of Notre Dame among others which glowed in the dark.:cool:

Here's a scan from an old Kelly’s Directory that might re-awaken a few memories; it shows Crookes businesses as they were in 1972:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Crookes.jpg

and here are the shops on Barber Road including Pokes, Worralls etc.:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Barber.jpg

It certainly has awoken a few memories-but also confused me even more.I DO recall Kandy Kabin being run by Mr & Mrs Derek Beech now.I can clearly remember them both.I still don't get why I've confused K & N Pokes with Kandy Kabin.Would be interested to know what years Pokes were on Barber Road tho',that might help.:help:

It certainly has awoken a few memories-but also confused me even more.I DO recall Kandy Kabin being run by Mr & Mrs Derek Beech now.I can clearly remember them both.I still don't get why I've confused K & N Pokes with Kandy Kabin.Would be interested to know what years Pokes were on Barber Road tho',that might help.:help:

Well, I'll be using my recently-acquired bus pass for a free trip to town sometime, so I'll call in the Local Studies Library and peer at a few directories! I think the library staff will be relieved when I head for the corner where they keep the directories. I sometimes go in with such long, complicated enquiries that I'm sure their hearts sink when I come in through the door....:?