Crookes History

I'm starting out in Geograph with Broomhill - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/934074 because that's where I first lived. It's probably going to take some time to get to Crookes, but I have just about all the photographs I need. This isn't a very interesting shot, but would have been if the buildings were still standing. It's called progress and if that didn't happen we'd still be living in caves and huts, but the character is gradually getting knocked out of Sheffield, I think.

I think the data came from Kelly's Directory of 1972. hillsbro seems to be able to get that information from the library. The things he produces are second to none so his advice would be best, depending on what you are seeking?

The Local Studies Library on Surrey Street has a unique stock of old Sheffield directories - Kelly's, Whites, Post Office etc., many of which are easily available on the shelves. But I actually have at home the 1973 Kelly's Directory (which gives the position as in 1972). I rescued it from the bin at the Midland Bank where I then worked. I think the 1974 edition was the last one.

I also have the 1925 directory on a CD - I don't know of any other Sheffield directories that are available in digital form. The books sometimes sell for quite high prices when they are offered on abebooks.co.uk etc. Anyone who needs information from the 1925 or 1973 directory is welcome to PM me.

I have a 39 and a 60 Kelly's but I was banned from sticking my head in them for hours on end. So they are with my brother whose wife is of a more patient disposition.

So if you need anything let me know and I'll forward the questions.

I have a 39 and a 60 Kelly's but I was banned from sticking my head in them for hours on end. So they are with my brother whose wife is of a more patient disposition.

So if you need anything let me know and I'll forward the questions.

Thank you. You have a PM.

Although not useful for the 'living memory' questions, these are all the Sheffield directories you can find at http://www.historicaldirectories.org. They are complete searchable scans.

The numbers in brackets refer to the six pages of Yorkshire directories available through the 'find by location' link.

Sheffield 1787 [3]

Sheffield 1825 [5]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1833 [2]

Sheffield 1849 [4]

Sheffield 1852 [5]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1856 [5]

Sheffield 1862 [2]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1879 [3]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1901 [1]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1905 [2]

Sheffield and Rotherham 1911 [3]

Hugh

on the top end of glossop road No.485 was a chemist shop (1890's) called C. RADFORDS chemist shop. i am looking for a photograph of the shop front. i have tried sheffield pictures but no joy. if there is one in a private collection to have a look at it.

on the top end of glossop road No.485 was a chemist shop (1890's) called C. RADFORDS chemist shop. i am looking for a photograph of the shop front. i have tried sheffield pictures but no joy. if there is one in a private collection to have a look at it.

Are you only interested in an old photograph or an up-to-date one?