Crookes History

I'm adding the shop names to photographs of Crookes, now and in the '60s.

As of now, from the Old Grindstone heading up to Crookes, I have at -

13 The Bookmakers

15 A & A Secondhand Centre

17 ?????

19 ?????

21 Broomhead Fish & Chip Shop

23 Just Hair, Unisex Hairdressers

So, if anyone can help me out with 17 and 19, please. If they're houses just put houses, I don't need the names of the householders, thank you.

As of 16 Feb'09

13 Gents' Hair salon

15 Chinese Fireworks shop

17 Computer shop

19 Estate Agents

21 Broomheads

23 Just Hair

Reading through the posts, I've just remembered, the Singalongs at the ball inn on Saturday nights about 1966 to 1968. Joe Hoole the coal man singing the laughing policeman with such a laugh it was contageous and Phil Adams with his party piece "I'll raise a bunion on his spannish Onion".

I don't know if either of them new any other songs.

This nostagia's not what it used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

On Western Road, across from the school, there used to be a sweet/tuck shop that sold Flying Saucers, Nibits, Sherbert Dabs etc. Anyone know what shop/house number it was, please. It was somewhere between 119 and 131

Apart from the Post Office, the only shop I can remember was just opposite the top of Mona Avenue. After the gap, there is a run of about six houses with a sort of projecting winow in front, it was the first one of these.

When I was at Western Road, we could walk through the gap to Cobden View and then throught the alley to Newent.

Hi Elmambo - I don't remember it being the first shop, more like the second. Pity the buildings don't look the same. During 1935 a bricklayer lived at 119. 121 was a shop, but what sort, I've no idea. 123 was a boot repairer and 125 was a greengrocers. 127 and 129 was a joiner and a manager. So later on, the sweet shop may have been at 121 or 125. Then again...?

I remember the walkthrough to Cobden View Road. You had the choice of walking up the muddy bank or what I seem to remember, a part of a building, like a passageway. I lived on Crookes and went to Western Road from 1945 to 1957, so it was either that way to and from home, or up and down Springvale Road.

On Western Road, across from the school, there used to be a sweet/tuck shop that sold Flying Saucers, Nibits, Sherbert Dabs etc. Anyone know what shop/house number it was, please. It was somewhere between 119 and 131

I think the tuck shop was round the bottom of Mona Ave at the bottom of Mona Road. I remember Peter Clark who was a class mate of mine lived at the shop opposite the tuck shop on the other corner right at the bottom of Mona Road. I remember the Lucky Bags also. I would think Chairboy could confirm or deny that.

Apart from the Post Office, the only shop I can remember was just opposite the top of Mona Avenue. After the gap, there is a run of about six houses with a sort of projecting winow in front, it was the first one of these.

When I was at Western Road, we could walk through the gap to Cobden View and then throught the alley to Newent.

Wasn't that the " Bombed buildings" Then the other piece of waste land across Cobden View at the bottom of Newent Lane. We also had a name for that but it escapes me.

I think the tuck shop was round the bottom of Mona Ave at the bottom of Mona Road. I remember Peter Clark who was a class mate of mine lived at the shop opposite the tuck shop on the other corner right at the bottom of Mona Road. I remember the Lucky Bags also. I would think Chairboy could confirm or deny that.

That particular shop, Geoff, at Mona Avenue/Springvale Road was called Dale's. I used that shop for sporting cards in bubble gum (which I slung).

Although I recall the location of the shops in question by "Crookes" I don't recall a tuck shop, even though I remember his "Flying Saucers". I remember the Oxtaby, Theacker and Kelsey families living very close to this area and had heard the term "bombed buildings".

Why I doubt a tuck shop, is that you often got a duplicate card with the gum but sometimes a different batch would bring 'new' cards to the collection and if there had been an alternative to Dale's, I would have tried it.

An alternative tuck shop was at the bottom of Warwick St/Leamington St. at a property where in recent times, there was a tragic (fatal) fire at a converted flat - but this is going away from the site in question.

I know where "Crookes" means but can't remember the wares of those shops, almost opposite Binghams.