Crookes History

Hi Duffems

I've been looking through the paperwork of the ancesters which one of

the family has researched and it looks like Thomas was the brother of my ex husbands grandad.

I did have some printout of the family and the adopted boy but I can't seem to find it. I'm trying to find the site where I got the print out from.

I did send you a second PM but I will try again.

Hi jaffa1, many thanks for replying. I didn't receive your pm, could you send it again please?

This is an enigma which I've been trying to resolve for many years since my father died and I found he'd been "adopted".

Regards,

Duffems

This brought back a few memories for me after receiving it from an old class mate, May Day at Crookes Endowed, taken between 1958/62 ? I must have wagged it that day.

You would probably know a couple of these people DUFFEMS.

scan0034.jpg

This brought back a few memories for me after receiving it from an old class mate, May Day at Crookes Endowed, taken between 1958/62 ? I must have wagged it that day.

You would probably know a couple of these people DUFFEMS.

scan0034.jpg

Sorry Skippy, I only lived in Crookes from 1948-51 but, my father lived on Toyne Street from the 1920's-51.

Duffems

Sorry Skippy, I only lived in Crookes from 1948-51 Duffems

The little lass with the cross marked on her shoulder, who is behind the kid sitting on the floor is Ruby Greatbach.

Hey Tooeg. Did you live round there. I see from your earlier post you mentioned Joe Hoole. I knew him well. Used to hang out with his nephew Dick Hoole. His dad was Sam. Sam and Joe had the coal business together

Sorry I never replied to this.

I lived on Bole Hill Rd opposite the Bole Hills, the first block of houses after the school as you go out of town.

The little lass with the cross marked on her shoulder, who is behind the kid sitting on the floor is Ruby Greatbach.

Thanks Skippy, I now understand what you meant. I never met Ruby or any of the other Greatbatch people other than my "adopted" grandmother Elizabeth (Thomas Greatbatch's wife). I'll let Kath (another Greatbatch) know about this, many thanks.

Regards,

Duffems.

Hi Duffems cant believe how much information you know about Crookes, as

you only lived there for 3yrs. Do you read about the history ?

I only lived there from 1951 until 1975. Then visited upto 1989 but my

Granparents lived there from 40s on School Rd.

I remember Candy Cabin, my mum worked in the co-op a few doors up (Sheila) in the 70s. I remember stacking the shelves in the school holidays and breaking up boxes in the back room, lol. I also lived on Pickmere Road up to 1986. My ex-hubby was a tractor driver from the tram sheds too ....... blast from the past.

Do you remember Mavis in the beer-off nr zebra crossing?? Ron the butcher at top of School Rd is still going strong, he saw me grow up and my kids lol.

Caz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi skippy

I can see that is Ruby [my sister in-law ] I will show her this picture.

Is there any more Greatbatchs in the picture I can't seem to pic em out?

Her sisters were Margaret ,Audrey brothers Philip and Trevor.

Were was it taken?