Crookes History

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/radio_sheffield_archive_photos_gallery.shtml?33

Top part of Northumberland Road towards the Goodwin, methinks?

Snow as it once was!

WOW! Fantastic picture .. I remember those days so well ..it was great as a kid but I would hate it now days :) Today we only need an inch of snow and everythings at a slow or stand still ..god only knows how we managed back in them days .lol. :D

What a fantastic picture of the snow! I'e been in Sheffield 19 years, Crookes for 12, and I've only experienced heavy snow a few times, in my first few years here. People used to say "Just wait till you see a proper Sheffield winter!". I'm still waiting...:) Someone told me that in the winter of 1947 all the fences, walls etc on the Bole Hills had vanished under the snow, and that on the roads leading down towards there, off Crookes, there was snow drifted to the bedroom windows. Anyone remember Crookes in that winter? (I wasn't around then :))

It's fascinating to read about people's memories on this thread. I think there used to be a Crookes local history group - it did 2 books - has it disbanded?

The winter of '78 into '79 was a bad winter with snow at Crookes and other hilly parts - but it was made worse by the gritters' strikes which meant that many schools had to be closed because the fuel tankers couldn't get to schools, either for slippery roads or haphazardly parked cars, to deliver oil for the radiators. So many events had to be cancelled.

The Candy Cabin was quite near to Dr.Flynn's surgery on Crookes and I recall was owned by a proprietor called Beech. I think Flynn had a reciprocal locum arrangement with Dr. Greenwood from the aforementioned practice at 203 School Road. Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Is that "Jenks" asking you to do his "scout" work?

Was the Kandy Kabin opp the flats below The Ball?

just found out my mum in law went to crookes endowed school. her name was patricia birkhead she has a brother peter. they lived on elgin street. her dad colin used to play in a dance band possible the empress. he also played football for crookes congregational football team.

Yes, Roughly where a plant shop/greenhouse shop is now, just below the chemist.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago and got no response when I asked if anyone remembered K & N Pokes sweet shop on Crookes.I think that became Kandy Kabin.

just found out my mum in law went to crookes endowed school. her name was patricia birkhead she has a brother peter. they lived on elgin street. her dad colin used to play in a dance band possible the empress. he also played football for crookes congregational football team.

I've found your mum-in-law's family in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, at 26 Elgin Street. She might remember next-door neighbours the Sigsworths at No 24 and Robinsons at No 28.

The Candy Cabin, Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Opposite the co-op was a butchers shop that sold horse meat in the 40's, anyone remember the hot vimto from the drink shop just below the Ball, there was a cobblers shop on the corner of Mulehouse and the main road, that was the tram stop too, on the opposite side of M/House was a carpet shop.

My memory is that the horse meat shop was just the other side of Coombe Road. I remember buying meat from there as a kid (for the dog), but the smell of it cooking was vile. I believe the owner committed suicide.

We always used to call your drinks shop the Herbalist's, there was a small Court of cottages to the left of it ( I used to deliver papers there). It was knocked down and the Council flats built.

The cobbler's on Mulehouse was called Slack's, they had a son called Robert.

No one has yet mentioned one of Crookes' local institutions - Leapers the chemist - just past the bottom of Stannington View. Open all hours and packed to the rafters with all things medical - much of it years out of date. Sometimes called Dr. Leaper, because of his vast knowledge of medcines, he would prescribe what the Doctor would usually give you without the inconvenience of the waiting room - a particularly useful service in pre NHS days, when a visit to the Doc's cost five bob. I can still remember the unique smell of his shop.