Mr Trump - All discussion here

23 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

I would like one, just one Sheffield person to come on here and state categorically exactly how Trump has affected their lives personally. 

For them to state the very impediment that he has made to them on a personal level. 

Has he affected your bin collection day?

Has he increased your council tax bill??

Is he always before you in the queue at the doctor's???

Did he pinch your last Rolo???

There's a lot of hate and general bad feeling about this bloke, but is it for a material matter, or is it just personal preference?  

I will start...... Yep, Mr Trump is a bit odd and he has the weirdest hairdo I've ever seen, but he's never actually done anything bad or nasty to me whilst he's been the President.

I keep an open mind......

Could you apply the same principle to the EU, out of interest?

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Could you apply the same principle to the EU, out of interest?

Yes. No problem at all. The EU decided that all professional drivers, ie Bus and Lorry drivers, should be made to have an extra licence every five years, at a cost to the individual of £4-600 every five years. This system has now been in place for almost 15 years. Even though this was an EU ruling, after all this time there are still several EU countries that haven't rolled it out yet. The UK was the first. This licence is called the CPC, and must be completed in five 8 hour modules every five years. The cost of the modules and the time off work to sit them are all on the drivers shoulders, so say an average weeks earnings are £700, plus the cost of the modules, this equates to at total of over £4000 every five years just to be able to do your job. Incidentally, the system is so flawed and unnecessary, it's possible to sit five identical modules to get it. In short, you cannot legally drive one of these vehicles without this five year CPC card.

This whole system was devised and implemented by the EU.

I think this is a fair argument to say how the EU has affected my life personally as I no longer drive large vehicles due to the cost for the privilege of doing so.

1 hour ago, BrexitGuy said:

Yes. No problem at all. The EU decided that all professional drivers, ie Bus and Lorry drivers, should be made to have an extra licence every five years, at a cost to the individual of £4-600 every five years.

Seems prudent to me, considering the damage a HGV can do.

Lots of industries require their employees to have certificates of competance.

This system has now been in place for almost 15 years. Even though this was an EU ruling, after all this time there are still several EU countries that haven't rolled it out yet. The UK was the first. This licence is called the CPC, and must be completed in five 8 hour modules every five years. The cost of the modules and the time off work to sit them are all on the drivers shoulders, so say an average weeks earnings are £700, plus the cost of the modules, this equates to at total of over £4000 every five years just to be able to do your job.

Big wow, many people (including myself in the past) pay far far more than that on travel/the cost of fuel just to go to work. C'est la vie!

Regardless, it just so happens my brother owns and runs a haulage/waste disposal company.

Apparently any reputable company pays for the CPC for their drivers, the training is considered work and is paid for appropriately.

He considers it "on the job" training, and as such is paid entirely by the company. Even if they didn't, the costs still aren't that high (IMHO).

In short, you cannot legally drive one of these vehicles without this five year CPC card.

... and after Brexit, you still won't be able to, because (a) there's going to be a UK equivalent, and (b) drivers who want to deliver to the EU will still need one.

So in effect, as one of the major players in the EU at the time, ourselves :rolleyes:

I think this is a fair argument to say how the EU has affected my life personally as I no longer drive large vehicles due to the cost for the privilege of doing so.

As above, maybe you should have found a better employer. Even then, the costs you highlight don't seem at all high in comparison to what many pay to "just do their job".

A stretch at most but, TBH, sounds like more a case of whining for the sake of it than a legitimate gripe :rolleyes:

(perhaps this would be better moving to the Brexit thread?)

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, BrexitGuy said:

Good to see that the EU are taking driving standards seriously.

As has already been said these costs are almost always covered by the employer and LGV drivers who work for me who are mostly self employed, write professional qualifications off against income tax.

Nice try but no cigar! :suspect:

17 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Good to see that the EU are taking driving standards seriously.

As has already been said these costs are almost always covered by the employer and LGV drivers who work for me who are mostly self employed, write professional qualifications off against income tax.

Nice try but no cigar! :suspect:

What about your drivers who aren't self employed? Do you cover all costs for their CPC?

35 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Seems prudent to me, considering the damage a HGV can do.

Lots of industries require their employees to have certificates of competance.

Big wow, many people (including myself in the past) pay far far more than that on travel/the cost of fuel just to go to work. C'est la vie!

Regardless, it just so happens my brother owns and runs a haulage/waste disposal company.

Apparently any reputable company pays for the CPC for their drivers, the training is considered work and is paid for appropriately.

He considers it "on the job" training, and as such is paid entirely by the company. Even if they didn't, the costs still aren't that high (IMHO).

... and after Brexit, you still won't be able to, because (a) there's going to be a UK equivalent, and (b) drivers who want to deliver to the EU will still need one.

So in effect, as one of the major players in the EU at the time, ourselves :rolleyes:

As above, maybe you should have found a better employer. Even then, the costs you highlight don't seem at all high in comparison to what many pay to "just do their job".

A stretch at most but, TBH, sounds like more a case of whining for the sake of it than a legitimate gripe :rolleyes:

(perhaps this would be better moving to the Brexit thread?)

Costs for travelling to work are on top you know. We didn't get that for free x

1 minute ago, BrexitGuy said:

What about your drivers who aren't self employed? Do you cover all costs for their CPC?

And I've retired so the UK can keep their new EU equivalents x

11 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

You don't get a professional safety certification from it either :rolleyes:

As before, if you can't stand the heat......

Clearly you couldn't, that's not the EU's fault, there would (and will) be a UK equivalent regardless of the EU..... something tells me it'll cost about the same.

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

18 minutes ago, Magilla said:

As before, if you can't stand the heat......

Clearly you couldn't, that's not the EU's fault, there would (and will) be a UK equivalent regardless of the EU..... something tells me it'll cost about the same.

As Brexit Guy said, many EU countries still haven't rolled it out yet.

1 hour ago, Hots on said:

As Brexit Guy said, many EU countries still haven't rolled it out yet.

Cool, so you'll have no problems telling us which EU countries they are?

Regardless, we're talking UK drivers, it is rolled out here and will almost certainly be kept or have an equivalent version when we leave.

5 hours ago, Magilla said:

Cool, so you'll have no problems telling us which EU countries they are?

Regardless, we're talking UK drivers, it is rolled out here and will almost certainly be kept or have an equivalent version when we leave.

I was trying to point out that this was an EU directive, created and implemented by foreign ministers, not by an British MEP. Yes, the British MEP would have had a say in the matter but that is irrelevant. The law was passed, thus causing considerable expense to British workers.

Most importantly, you would be hard pressed to find one single diver who would applaud this scheme as it's course content is similar to teaching Duncan Goodhew how to swim.

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, the companies they work for cover those costs.

Just to be clear, if drivers you employ are paid whilst training for CPC you must share with us which company is this generous. The employer has no duty to cover any cost of course not time off to take it?