Mr Trump - All discussion here

To be fair, old Bozzer has had trouble today remembering which job he’s supposed to be doing. “Am I Foreign Sec, or Health Sec?”.

So, I don’t think that we need to worry too much about his opinion of Trump’s proposed visit.

That was quite an interesting article, mel. I had no idea America invested so much money in the UK.

In 2016 the people of the United States not only elected Donald Trump; they bought £100 billion of British goods and services. That is more than twice what we sold to Germany – our second biggest export market. Fully one fifth of everything we sell overseas goes to America.

So when the Labour party rails against “Donald Trump’s America” they might remember that these same freedom-loving Americans bought 200,000 British cars, including 114,000 Jaguar Land Rovers – helping to sustain 40,000 jobs in those superb factories in the West Midlands.

And it might curb Labour’s instinctive anti-Americanism to reflect that American companies have invested £250 billion in this country – far more than any other overseas investor, and that the 7,500 US companies in this country collectively employ 1.2 m people.

It is a swollen throbbing two way transatlantic pipeline of jobs and goods and services – assisted by what is unquestionably a strongly performing US economy. As an economic relationship with a single country, we have nothing like it.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 01:05 ----------

For those who would like to read the entire article (it's behind a paywall. It was for me, anyway) here is a link to the article on reddit

I wouldn't bother it like knitting fog :hihi:

---------- Post added 23-01-2018 at 22:05 ----------

This thread is not for common sense. Its for bluster and hysterics.

---------- Post added 23-01-2018 at 22:08 ----------

Using that logic the council pays for Traffic Wardens, the public doesn't. Unless we all sign a contract with them.

One feels the hole is deep enough you will no doubt be into the Great Barrier Reef before long.

Just call it a day, hey? :hihi:

Exactly,the public pays taxes and the council does what it wants with the money,just like Mexico would pay taxes to America,and America would do what it wants with the money,nobody in the public says 'this is my money for Traffic Wardens and I want it to go only to them'...........same logic applies to the wall.

So when the Labour party rails against “Donald Trump’s America” they might remember that these same freedom-loving Americans bought 200,000 British cars, including 114,000 Jaguar Land Rovers – helping to sustain 40,000 jobs in those superb factories in the West Midlands.

Speaking of Jaguar:

Jaguar Land Rover to cut production amid Brexit uncertainty

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/business/manufacturing/jaguar-land-rover-cut-production-14190974

Speaking of Jaguar:

Jaguar Land Rover to cut production amid Brexit uncertainty

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/business/manufacturing/jaguar-land-rover-cut-production-14190974

According to the article, JLR is cutting production in part because of uncertainty over Brexit.

Topically, and in view of mel and Sierra's posts above, the remaining part may well be Donald Trump's pledge to implement tariffs on foreign-manufactured cars.

Rightly or wrongly irrespective, Trump's growing a habit of making good on his promises. He certainly started the ball rolling with washing machines and solar panels. The solar panel move is not completely devoid of logic and merit, in view of China's dumping of ancient tech-based panels of dubious benefit to the environment...but the implementation (tariff parameterisation) is imbecilic.

Edited by L00b

All these anti Trump banshees who want to ban his visit just want to damage the economy and claim victory in the Brexit argument #treachery

LOL

well done for stringing together trump, brexit in the same sentence :hihi:, im sure trump caused brexit, or trump not coming will damage the economy :roll:

Wasnt it trump that spat the dummy out and said hes not coming for that embassy opening? nothing to do with anti trumpers

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 12:29 ----------

Talking about THE WALL

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/24/580167439/trump-lashes-out-after-schumer-withdraws-offer-on-border-wall

seems there was an offer from the democrats to fund the wall, or some of it anyway, not the mexican government?