Mr Trump - All discussion here

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

If the QAnon theory is correct wouldn't now be a good time for Trump to act?  He has done neither. 

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Enabled by Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. As Sacha Baron Cohen says, if Facebook had been around in the 1930s they would have allowed Nazi Party propaganda. Radical action needs taking against social media companies because they don't really care about the consequences of their failure to regulate their content, provided one of the consequences is more money for them.

That's a good point.

On another thread, I posted that YouTube briefly took TalkRadio off its platform (presumably because radio hosts from that station were spreading Coronavirus misinformation). Sadly, they allowed it back on, presumably because right-wing blowhards started whinging & whining. 

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I am no Trump supporter but Mahatma Gandhi said 'If there is an idiot in power it means those who elected him are well represented.' And that I think sums up what this is about. An awful lot of people feel they are not represented by the 'normal' politicians who are corrupt and live in a different world to them, so they go for outsiders: in this case,Trump. He promised to 'drain the swamp' and that's what people wanted to hear. He's a rich, powerful man, they believed he could do it. They believe he was stopped by fraudulent means. 

There is no doubt in my mind that politics is a dirty business and needs a thorough clean up. Once in power manifestos are abandoned and promises broken. Croneyism and jobs for the boys abound. There is fraud and dishonesty aplenty, and cover ups. Money is king and rules the system. Vested interests are kept in power. The system does not represent the people and it seems there is little that can legally be done to change it. A vote changes nothing when the system is rotten. That is not Democracy.  Are all these people attacking democracy or defending it? 

Some reports said hundreds of thousands of people were involved, and that's just the ones that turned up to demonstrate. That's a lot of people, and not all nutters.

Trump might be a bad man, but even when a good, strong, honest man, but an outsider, stands up wanting to represent 'the people,' he is also branded a nutter, a joke, a marxist, and so on, and his supporters are similarly diminished with slanderous slurs. You know of whom I speak.... He still has an enormous following of people who feel their views are not represented, but they do know how the media distorts the facts and ruins reputations. 

People might not agree with this appraisal, but there is a crisis in the world. Things need to change on many fronts. Somebody somewhere has to address it, and soon.

You're saying that those who quite literally stormed the capitol building, aren't all nutters? 

I'm at a loss.

41 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I always thought if the US govt was a cover for a bunch of satanic paedophiles, then Trump would be in charge of them.

I'm amazed no QAnon followers have given this any thought.

Not defending QAnon but having watched 50 odd year old Ming Na in The Mandolorian there might be something in it. I'd check Liz Hurleys fridge too.

Also worth pointing out that Charles Manson never killed anyone and he's still in prison.

• Vaati locked this topic
  • Vaati unlocked this topic
7 hours ago, The Joker said:

I don't recall  armed gangs of Leave voters marching into the Houses of Parliament, demanding BoJo fulfil his election lie to give £350 milion a week to the NHS?

Maybe I missed it

they are doing it in a responsible socially distanced way, so it will take some time

32 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

(...)

This idea has been relentlessly pushed by dark money, billionaire media moguls, 'conservative think tanks', silicon valley libertarians etc. etc.  The kind of people who think William Rees Mogg's 'sovereign individual' is a great idea, as opposed to a dystopian nightmare.  Be afraid, folks, be very afraid.

Can I take it that you are aware of Andrew Neil's "GB News", Britain's very own Fox News-alike green-lit with Legatum's £60m investment this week?

Thank you for a thoughtful post (and thought-provoking for some, hopefully).

Last night was the US 21st century version of Germany's 20th century Beer Hall putsch. And it's looking like it was planned, there are several geolocated and timestamped shots of different insurrectionists with 'Civil War 6 January' hoodies doing the  rounds. Which begs still more questions about the Capitol security lapses.

Too many good men are doing nothing. 

Edited by L00b

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Also, the US system is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. In the presidential election a person in Wyoming's vote is three times more influential than someone in California. I don't know how difficult constitutional reform is in the US, but while they control both houses the Dems need to try to find a way to even things out or they'll be history.

Heard talk on "International Skeptics Forum" of Democrats making Puerto Rico and DC fully fledged states.