Mr Trump - All discussion here

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

Fair point.  So do you think bribery is more likely?

Really?  You don't think the Republican majority in the Senate had anything to do with it?

I know about the Pam Bondi case in Florida, but I haven't heard about the Dear Leader facing allegations of corruption in Texas.  Do you have a link for that?

No links. I was just trying to point out that in New York, Trump has no political influence, or support which would make your conspiracy theory credible.

But according to the new political mudslinging rules of the last 5 years, since I have no evidence to refute it, I can not "exonerate" him,

So another "allegation" could be added to his long list of "alleged" crimes.  :)

Edited by trastrick

6 hours ago, L00b said:

Nope!

The  leaked "draft" opinion presently circulating in the MSM, proposes to return authority to the individual States.

Most rational people, like me, are not in favor of "banning" abortion. I believe it is a neccessary medical procedure for some. According to BBC, Trump is in favor of allowing abortion in cases of rape, incest, or threat to a woman's life. According to Gallup, the majority favor some abortion restrictions.

Pro abortionists, want no restrictions at all , abortion on demand, and paid for by the taxpayer.

The societal sub issues that complicate the debate, are a woman's right to choose what she can do with her own body, the use of abortion as birth control, (even choosing the sex , hair hair and eye color - designer babies?),  promiscuity and breakdown of the father's responsibilty for his actions, and a host of other reasons, including religious beliefs. Issues on which people will never agree.

But, since Roe vs Wade, some 62,000,000 abortions have been performed in the U.S. and many viable late term babies have been surgically terminated.

Whatever my personal views are (and yours) we live in a society, where we have a mechanism for legislation by elected representaives, so we have to abide by the laws they pass, and tolerate the ones we don't agree with.

That's the essence of democracy, whether we like it or not!

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

<…>

Whatever my personal views are (and yours) we live in a society, where we have a mechanism for legislation by elected representaives, so we have to abide by the laws they pass, and tolerate the ones we don't agree with.

Save as to facts that-

(1) US Supreme justices are not elected representatives.

(2) Their judgements make law in the US just fine.

You doth protest a tad too much.

48 minutes ago, L00b said:

Save as to facts that-

(1) US Supreme justices are not elected representatives.

(2) Their judgements make law in the US just fine.

You doth protest a tad too much.

US Supreme Court Justices (appointed by duly elected officials) do not make the laws. Their job is solely to uphold the Constitution.

Lawmaking authority is reserved only to Congress, the "lawmakers".  :)

The SC Judges job is to uphold The Constitution. 

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

US Supreme Court Justices (appointed by duly elected officials) do not make the laws. Their job is solely to uphold the Constitution.

Lawmaking authority is reserved only to Congress, the "lawmakers".  :)

The SC Judges job is to uphold The Constitution. 

You should read up about the lawmaking powers of the US Supreme Court under the application of precedent, instead of trying your reductionist take on me. It may help you understand the political dimension of certain SC justices’ appointments.

“The Constitution grants only those rights that the Supreme Court says it grants, and a new majority can and will bestow those rights, and take them away, in chilling ways.”

(Jeffrey Toobin)

Aptly demonstrated by this decision, should the draft be confirmed. Since it will effectively rescind American females’ right to abortion at the federal level, after the very same Supreme Court granted it some 50 years ago…i.e. make and rescind law, indeed.

Edited by L00b

22 minutes ago, L00b said:

You should read up about the lawmaking powers of the US Supreme Court under the application of precedent, instead of trying your reductionist take on me. It may help you understand the political dimension of certain SC justices’ appointments.

“The Constitution grants only those rights that the Supreme Court says it grants, and a new majority can and will bestow those rights, and take them away, in chilling ways.”

(Jeffrey Toobin)

Aptly demonstrated by this decision, should the draft be confirmed. Since it will effectively rescind American females’ right to abortion at the federal level, after the very same Supreme Court granted it some 50 years ago…i.e. make and rescind law, indeed.

Jeffrey Toobin? The CNN guy who was playing with himself, while on a zoom meeting?  :)

Lol

If the people decide the Constition is no longer in the interests of the people, there is recourse to change the Constitution by Amendment. There have been 33 Amendments since it was written.

Problem is, to get an Amendment passed, the process is quite serious and sober. It requires " two-thirds vote of both Houses of Congress, or, if two-thirds of the States request one, by a convention called for that purpose. The amendment must then be ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures, or three-fourths of conventions called in each State for ratification."

That it too onerous and a non-starter for the zealous progressives, because the majority (Gallup) say some restriction on abortion, and taxpayer funding for same, should be in place.

So the only way that can get it done, is by packing the Supreme Court with Judicial Activists.

"Judicial activism is said to be the overreaching or incorrect interpretation of the law, which is thought by critics to be a misuse of the power of interpretation of the law by a judge or judges for political or personal reasons".

Not a good idea. Presidents who follow could do some nasty things to the Constitution.

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

In your country, abortion is illegal in all circumstances.

Women face 2 years in prison for attempting to induce an abortion themselves and medical professionals can be sentenced for up to 20 years in jail.

These laws and sanctions were passed by dictators 140 years ago. 

That is not Democracy.

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

because the majority (Gallup) say some restriction on abortion, and taxpayer funding for same, should be in place.

You keep quoting this Gallup poll to bolster your argument but fail to provide a link to it. It couldn't be that you are selectively quoting to give a misleading impression again could it? After all, "some restriction on abortion" could mean "women shouldn't be allowed to have abortions after their waters have broke but any time before then is OK". Without knowing what questions were asked, "some restriction on abortion" cannot be take to mean people support stricter abortion laws.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

(…)

So the only way that can get it done, is by packing the Supreme Court with Judicial Activists.

"Judicial activism is said to be the overreaching or incorrect interpretation of the law, which is thought by critics to be a misuse of the power of interpretation of the law by a judge or judges for political or personal reasons".

Not a good idea. Presidents who follow could do some nasty things to the Constitution.

Which is exactly what Trump did.

If only you’d bothered to read my first link in that earlier post, you’d have saved yourself a whole lot of typing.