Firth Park 50s and 60s

parkydave

Was going to mail you Heather about Peter but you posted on here. He was a good mate was Pete , used to revise and do our homework together at the library . It is very sad that people still use phones while driving and continue you injure and kill other people.

St. Christopher's Bellhouse Road, I saw Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders there in 1964 and they already had a hit record.[/quote

Hi stpetre. I wasn`t from around that area, Shiregreen etc. We used to walk over from Longley/Southey Hall. But from around the beginning of `64 we used to go to the Horseshoe for a couple of "jars", then on down the hill to St Christophers church hall. I remember Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

Obviously you won`t remember us but there were usually four of us, occasionally 5. However, on one particular Saturday night one of our group, Eddie, brought his sister along. Eddie was a bit handy with his fists and had no fear. One of the local lads was dancing with his sister. Nothing wrong in that;but you had to know Eddie to be aware that any particular situation could lend itself to trouble.

To cut a long story short; after Eddie decked the lad who was dancing with his sister, we were chased outside by a nearly all the lads from that area.

We ended up stuck between a couple of the Church buttresses and were only saved from a good hiding by the swift intervention of the two blokes running/minding the Hall.

Edited by vanner18