Firth Park 50s and 60s

parkydave

Alan Fergus and Michael Maw will be at the community centre Fairthorn Road at 1.00 PM Tuesday. If anyone remembers us from Hucklow Rd school please come for a catch up. I was in miss Clarke class leaving 1962 Michael left for Hinde house 1963.

We'd love to meet old school friends and reminisce

Dreb48 you were asking earlier in the post about chip shop opposite Huddarts on Bellhouse Rd across road from that chippy was another chippy think it had a red bay window , think that was called stringers and the chippy you referred to was it like a persons name mrs ....... just a thought that came back.

Hi Dave. Yes I’m sure you’re right about those things.

I wasn’t a local lad myself and my memories come from visits with my mum when I was at primary school.

It’s the daft stuff you remember like my Nan always having a roe at the chip shop, buying a soap set in the shape of a steam train from Huddarts and that awful fish paste that Styans used to sell.

I’m 69 and it all seems a lifetime ago and a totally different world. It’s good that on here we can fill in the gaps in our memories that have got lost in the mists of time.

---------- Post added 02-11-2017 at 09:54 ----------

Incidentally, I know it’s a bit further afield but does anyone remember a milk bar that was called McGregors that was down towards Page Hall on the corner of Idsworth Rd? My auntie and uncle had it for a while in the early 50s

Yes I remember McGregors stood outside that shop and watched the queen drive past some time in the 50s . Last week I visited my sister , who still lives at firth park and came up page hall road I can tell you now you would have to be brave to stand outside that shop now. must have been a crowd of about 50 or more what looked like gypsies .

Careful Dave. Be sure not to say something that may offend. Some sensitive souls on this forum.

So if you were there to watch the Coronation that would also be the time when the Roxy was owned by Harry Sylvester who was Connie Grants husband. My Nan was Connies sister and occasionally we’d meet her there before heading up to her house on Foremark.

---------- Post added 02-11-2017 at 10:19 ----------

Sorry Dave. Obviously not the Coronation!

I know you have to be careful but it was scary I managed to turn right and quickly drive up Firth Park road . I was at Hucklow rd school at the time of coronation I would be about six and we was given a pen knife to mark the occasion can you imagine that now LOL

Very true unfortunately. Like I said, different times, different world.

Ha ha no penknife for me. I think our kid got one.

I got a mug and a tin with Cadbury’s chocolate in.

Watched the Coronation on a tiny Bush tv with half the neighbourhood crammed into the front room of our Totley prefab. My dad even knocked up a bench a few days earlier for them all to sit on. Potted dog sandwiches and jelly. What a feast !

Dreb48 you were asking earlier in the post about chip shop opposite Huddarts on Bellhouse Rd across road from that chippy was another chippy think it had a red bay window , think that was called stringers and the chippy you referred to was it like a persons name mrs ....... just a thought that came back.

Called Acme ship shop in the 50s/early 60s. Husband and wife - she had gingerish hair and always looked hot and bothered. Nice couple, no children.