Firth Park 50s and 60s

parkydave

Well done gene got it been doing my head in . Am I correct about stringers opposite . What would we have done without wigfalls and the HP . We got everything from them . We had a collector who came and took the payments great bloke . He even got me a discount for my first driving lessons he had a finger in loads of pies I think

Yes gene. Thanks for that. Just can’t remember it at all. I was starting to think it was something like Bellhouse Fisheries. You’ll be right though and that fits in with my recollection of the couple behind the range.

Dave, we had Wiggys man call, rent man, man from the Pru, the lot. Hey we even had the man who sold Addis brushes from a suitcase call regular

Every Sunday my dad would sit at the kitchen table arranging piles of coins for whoever was due to call

Yes gene. Thanks for that. Just can’t remember it at all. I was starting to think it was something like Bellhouse Fisheries. You’ll be right though and that fits in with my recollection of the couple behind the range.

Dave, we had Wiggys man call, rent man, man from the Pru, the lot. Hey we even had the man who sold Addis brushes from a suitcase call regular

Every Sunday my dad would sit at the kitchen table arranging piles of coins for whoever was due to call

Tophams chip shop was opposite Acme though I think it may have been another name later. I can't recall Stringers.

Loads of butchers - 2 Watsons, one at the bottom of Bellhouse and one on the corner adjoining Bevercotes. Fredericks, Wrays, a pork butcher halfway up on the LH side. Another one opposite Fredericks near Rothery's fresh fish shop. Lawsons hardware shop below Acme chip shop. Not forgetting the pawn shop below where FP crescent joins Bellhouse Rd. Didn't need to go into town as we had everything we needed on the doorstep. Woolworths, Boots, 4 shoe shops - Gregsons, Purcells, Collins, Walliss' .

Yes gene everything was there . I used to even have my suits made at cobberts on bellhouse rd just up from camms then it moved along first park rd and renamed mans shop. Can't remember pawn shop . I was brought up at firth park 1947 got married 1968 , then lived at wincobank , Sandstone ave , still did our shopping at firth park till we moved to Dronfield 1968 . Was a great place to live then

The pawn shop sold second hand things in the shop window but did have the 3 balls outside the shop. There was the back entrance to enter to take things to pawn. My dad's suit was regular on a Monday - 5 bob was given and I think 5/6d was paid for its return on a Saturday so dad could go out to the club. He never knew this happened or he would have had my mother's guts for garters as they said back then.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y02021&prevUrl= photo on there showing an advert on a wall at the bottom of the Bellhouse Rd.

A few months ago I was sat in the doctor's surgery and there was lovely old man chatting about how thing used to be and he mentioned the pawn shop. There was a trainee doctor waiting to go into the room too and we had to explain that back in the day, the word pawn had a totally different meaning to what youngsters know today.

Yes just been looking through photos really good .I can remember from roundabout along stubbin starting from co-op ,barrons (electrical ), burgins general store, , sweet shop with fag machines outside , fruit shop was it smiths , decorators shop credlands ? seymores toys , fishing tackle shop .A few I think I remember not sure about spelling. Wilds fish shop and revilles news and sweets up between co-op and electrical shop

Hello Lakerman, I’ve seen you on here for a while. Are you Rod Sockett? If so you were a friend of mine (Heather Fergus) and Pat Hall. Did you live on Page Hall Rd, I could be wrong here, we used to knock around with you and I remember going to your house with Pat. I’m sorry to hear of Donald Tinkers passing, as he and David Irving were also friends of mine. I think that they lived next door to each other. It’s lovely to hear the old names again.