Brinsworth prefabs

Brinsworth prefabs

Hey up, these are Brinny prefabs. They were still stood in 1971.

Do any of you remember the thatched cottages on Bonet Lane?

I once went for a job interview in Brinsworth during the early ‘70s. I was hoping to become a railway signalman. I believe the vacancy was at Darnall or Attercliffe Road. Why I had to go to Brinsworth for the interview, I couldn’t say. Anyrail up, I catched the bus (24?) from Sheffield and alit at The Three Magpies battle cruiser, in Brinsweth. From there to my place of interview, I recall seeing B.O.C and I.C.I buildings. Was this an industrial estate? Perhaps BrinsworthTony might know the answer. LOL.

The interview didn’t go well and my aspirations of becoming a railway employee were well and truly derailed. Huh.

Brinsworth prefabs

Hey up, these are Brinny prefabs. They were still stood in 1971.

Do any of you remember the thatched cottages on Bonet Lane?

I once went for a job interview in Brinsworth during the early ‘70s. I was hoping to become a railway signalman. I believe the vacancy was at Darnall or Attercliffe Road. Why I had to go to Brinsworth for the interview, I couldn’t say. Anyrail up, I catched the bus (24?) from Sheffield and alit at The Three Magpies battle cruiser, in Brinsweth. From there to my place of interview, I recall seeing B.O.C and I.C.I buildings. Was this an industrial estate? Perhaps BrinsworthTony might know the answer. LOL.

The interview didn’t go well and my aspirations of becoming a railway employee were well and truly derailed. Huh.

The bus you caught was 87 and went from Pond Street through Brinsworth on it's way to Maltby, I think. It turned off Bawtry Rd at Bonnet Lane turned left at the Three Magpies and ran along Brinsworth Lane and rejoined Bawtry Rd at the Atlas Hotel. There was other buildings besidea BOC on Bawtry Rd, but a lot of land before that was Hadfields sports fields etc, back in the 60's.

I don't recall ever seeing the thatched cottages, by the way LOL

Do remember the thatched cottage and another called Rose cottage which had at some time I think been a pub it was for sale in the 70s had fantastic gardens but needed a fortune spending on it.

Bus was a 24 which ran from Catcliffe via 3 Magpies to Sheffield I used to catch it and walk over Tinsley viaduct to George Turton Platts.

Long time ago now happy days

Do remember the thatched cottage and another called Rose cottage which had at some time I think been a pub it was for sale in the 70s had fantastic gardens but needed a fortune spending on it.

Bus was a 24 which ran from Catcliffe via 3 Magpies to Sheffield I used to catch it and walk over Tinsley viaduct to George Turton Platts.

Long time ago now happy days

Don't recall that 24 bus from Catcliffe to Tinsley, must have started up after I left. I actually lived in Catcliffe until 1957 and the only bus I can remember was the 32 Rotherham bus that started from right outside our house(grandparents) and went up Whitehill and through Canklow. I had to get off at Whitehill and walk down to our new house on Whitecroft after we moved. Later I would pick up my Stars at the Whitehill newsagent and do my round which ended at my street roughly. I worked in Tinsley from 1961 and always caught the 87 on Brinsworth Lane at Pringle Road, so even if there had been a 24 by then, I wouldn't have known any way. I assumed Zakes was coming from Sheffield, so that is why I mentioned the 87 bus. Where did the 24 originate from and was it a Sheffield or a Rotherham bus? By the way, there was no Viaduct when I started work lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

As I recall the 24 ran from Totley of all places to Catcliffe.

I also lived in Catcliffe on Woodland close after I got married in 1975.

I later moved to Rawmarsh before finally leaving Yorkshire in 1991.

Woodland Close is an apt name, because when I was a kid in the 50's that probably was all woods . Sheffield Lane ended before that area was developed.Back then it was fields and woods with a golf course mixed in. We lived at the bottom end of Sheffield Lane. They should have called us "Floodland Close" as we were often knee deep in water when it rained for a few days lol. Actually we were at South View Terrace, but the houses were not the same as they are today.

Brinsworth pre-fabs

Ontarian, your assumption that I was coming (going) from Sheffield is correct it was the 24 bus I catched, it runned from Totley. At the time, I lived at Gleadless Townend and got the bus (24) in town. I had been on a number 24 bus before, when I went to Millhouses Lido in the early ‘60s. Mi Dad used to buy one of those child’s fishing nets on the end of a long cane. I’d spend the day in the sun, catching tidy tiddlers and sticky sticklebacks (bonne bouche) on toast with a spot of pepper. LOL), then I’d release them again.

----------------

On that dull day at Brinsworth all those years ago, I spent ages walking about looking for my venue of interview. Could it have been at Wood Lane?

----------------

Here are some bus timetables from mid-70s. 1 2 3 4 5a 5b

----------------

As regards to Catcliffe, I don’t think I’ve ever been theere. Ive heard it was in years gone by, scenic, serene and silent…All quiet on the Westonfront.

Thanks Ontarian, I enjoy your well presented posts.