Brinsworth prefabs

Was it at the marshalling yard between brinsworth comp and catcliffe?

Are you thinking Canklow engine sheds which were more Brinsworth than Canklow, or Tinsley Marshalling yards which were not far from Brinsworth or Catcliffe. However I suppose his interview was at an office type of location.so it could have been anywhere.

Do remember the thatched cottage and another called Rose cottage which had at some time I think been a pub it was for sale in the 70s had fantastic gardens but needed a fortune spending on it.

Bus was a 24 which ran from Catcliffe via 3 Magpies to Sheffield I used to catch it and walk over Tinsley viaduct to George Turton Platts.

Long time ago now happy days

Here's a thatched cottage on Bonet Lane. Must have been before the one you mention.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00047&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47345

Edited by PeterR

Brinsworth pre-fabs

Ontarian, your assumption that I was coming (going) from Sheffield is correct it was the 24 bus I catched, it runned from Totley. At the time, I lived at Gleadless Townend and got the bus (24) in town. I had been on a number 24 bus before, when I went to Millhouses Lido in the early ‘60s. Mi Dad used to buy one of those child’s fishing nets on the end of a long cane. I’d spend the day in the sun, catching tidy tiddlers and sticky sticklebacks (bonne bouche) on toast with a spot of pepper. LOL), then I’d release them again.

----------------

On that dull day at Brinsworth all those years ago, I spent ages walking about looking for my venue of interview. Could it have been at Wood Lane?

----------------

Here are some bus timetables from mid-70s. 1 2 3 4 5a 5b

----------------

As regards to Catcliffe, I don’t think I’ve ever been theere. Ive heard it was in years gone by, scenic, serene and silent…All quiet on the Westonfront.

Thanks Ontarian, I enjoy your well presented posts.

Yes I agree and his 'brother' TORONTONY is around here somewhere.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Enjoying this post

Have been on hols so had to catch up

I recall both the Tinsley marshalling yards and the old railway sheds at Canklow when I was younger I can recall seeing loads of old steam engines lined up ready for the scrap man.

Expect it’s a lot different now got to be over 30 years since I was in Brinsworth

• 6 years later...

I remember the prefabs but can't remember anyone living in them. They were around Roman Crescent and Atlas street. Atlas street had the Co-op at the bottom.

Catcliffe had Station road, which had back to backs on, known in the area as the bums puzzle.