Rowdy hen parties and very sensitive women

And whats that got to do with rowdy hen parties ?

Have you not read the thread?

Basically, being a man means that you have privilege which has been used to oppress women and this has been pointed out by many men on this thread.

My point was, if these men feel that they have oppressed women simply by being male, then should they offer reparations to black people simply for being white due to the centuries of white oppression of black people. The reparatiln deman comes from the Black Lives Matter movement.

Basically, being a man means that you have privilege which has been used to oppress women and this has been pointed out by many men on this thread.

My point was, if these men feel that they have oppressed women simply by being male, then should they offer reparations to black people simply for being white due to the centuries of white oppression of black people. The reparatiln deman comes from the Black Lives Matter movement.

At first glance this doesn't seem unreasonable.

The problem is when you start to think a bit it's not all white men that have been doing the oppressing for centuries is it?

Were the white men sent to death at the Somme doing much oppressing?

Or the white men who slaved in the mines and factories? Or who worked the land centuries earlier?

How about we shift focus to Japan. Another male dominated society. Are all male Japanese historically privileged? How about China or, well really any country?

It's such a reductive idea to think and say male white privilege. Says a lot about the knowledge, mentality and intellect of the people that throw it around.

You've managed to go from "women have been oppressed by men" to "if these men feel that THEY have oppressed women". They're quite different things.

I don't go around oppressing women, when hiring or promoting I wouldn't favour someone due to gender or sex. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that I shouldn't recognise that it happens.

I don't go around grabbing women as Donald Trump described that he did, nor do I pinch their bumps, grab their boobs or in any other way assault them. But it happens, and it would be foolish to pretend that it doesn't.

I also recognise that white privilege exists, I wouldn't personally favour someone in any situation due to skin colour, but I know it happens, hell, I've heard my elderly relatives expressing casual racism and when challenged they don't even understand how what they've said is wrong.

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 10:23 ----------

At first glance this doesn't seem unreasonable.

The problem is when you start to think a bit it's not all white men that have been doing the oppressing for centuries is it?

Were the white men sent to death at the Somme doing much oppressing?

Or the white men who slaved in the mines and factories? Or who worked the land centuries earlier?

How about we shift focus to Japan. Another male dominated society. Are all male Japanese historically privileged? How about China or, well really any country?

It's such a reductive idea to think and say male white privilege. Says a lot about the knowledge, mentality and intellect of the people that throw it around.

If you were in Japan talking about WHITE male privilege then yes, that would be quite foolish.

To pretend that in Japan or China or the west that men don't have inherent systemic advantages over women would be equally foolish though.

Sure, the rich also have systemic advantages over the poor, nobody claimed otherwise, but a poor white man in the UK has an advantage over a poor black woman.

A Swedish woman international now says she wasnearly raped by a current premier striker after going back to a hotel room on a boozy night out,again she refuses to name him,why doesn't she name him and if not why bother to tell us about it.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5010401/Footballer-claims-Premier-League-star-tried-rape-her.html

Edited by ukdobby
wasn't raped but attemted rape.