Jared Omara MP ..

Message added by nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

They voted for him. If they fell for the spin and con they deserve him.

Yes, 21,881 voted for him, but over 35,000 voted for another candidate, and roughly 13,000 didn't vote, so he can't be said to speak for the majority of the Hallam electorate, not even a third.

Labour voters may deserve him (although even that's a bit harsh), but the majority of the Hallam electorate certainly do not.

Labour don't want a by-election because they know they're likely to lose - although the 3 way split might even yet save them. String it out as long as possible.

In the last Parliament Nick was very low profile, as though he didn't really want to be our MP. Since the election it's been fairly obvious that he didn't.

Maybe Jared can redeem himself by slowly getting his act together. I didn't vote for him, and am unlikely to in the forseeable future, but in 4 more years who knows how well he can recover.

I do wonder why the Tory party, that previously held what was seen as a fairly safe seat, hasn't found a candidate with charisma to draft in to take on the challenge. It's like they've given up.

The people of that constituency have got the MP they deserve...

For your information, not all of us voted for him. What we permanent residenta don't deserve is the result of the student vote! Students should have to vote by post in the constituency where their home is.

Edited by kaytie

For your information, not all of us voted for him. What we permanent residenta don't deserve is the result of the student vote! Students should have to vote by post in the constituency where there home is.

Why? They will spend more time in the constituency where they live whilst studying.

For your information, not all of us voted for him. What we permanent residenta don't deserve is the result of the student vote! Students should have to vote by post in the constituency where their home is.

If reports were right, lots of them did both..

I came to Sheffield as a student in 1992 and I'm still here. I voted in Hallam as a student (and as a worker for the next 20 years). Why should I have been forced to vote in my "home" constituency - a place I had never chosen to live, a place I had chosen to leave at the first possible opportunity and a place I knew I never intended to go back to? When I was a student, we were told that Sheffield had the highest retention rate for students staying in the city after their degree. I don't know if it still does, particularly given the crippling debts most students leave with, but it is still renown for being a city that many students stay on in. Students should be allowed to vote in the cities in which they study - particularly in somewhere like Sheffield, and Hallam constituency, where the Universities are so important and impactful.