Jared Omara MP ..

Message added by nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

So how do you excuse the fact that since he got voted in he's done absolutely nothing? Not voted on things (of which he can still do) or even attended parliament. How do you excuse that?

If you want to break it down to it's most simple level- he's currently receiving a massive salary and not doing the job he's being paid to do. That's disgusting.

As none of us are in possession of his personal medical records, and shouldn't be, we can't judge why he is currently absent. Those who have had contact with family, friends or colleagues suffering from depression or stress will know his present situation is likely to have exacerbated any ailments and tendency in that direction. I sincerely hope those who still believe any individual can jump up and snap out of such a condition never find themselves in that dark place.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 14:32 ----------

I had no knowledge of this before my previous two posts. For him personally that's the right way to go. He can then start to rebuild a political career - if he still wants to. The next election will be interesting.

As none of us are in possession of his personal medical records, and shouldn't be, we can't judge why he is currently absent. Those who have had contact with family, friends or colleagues suffering from depression or stress will know his present situation is likely to have exacerbated any ailments and tendency in that direction. I sincerely hope those who still believe any individual can jump up and snap out of such a condition never find themselves in that dark place.

So you say we "none of us are in possession of his personal medical records" so we "can't judge why he is currently absent"...and then go on to suggest he is suffering from "depression" which is "likely to have exacerbated any ailments and tendency in that direction" and is in a "dark place". As far as I know the only thing he said was "stress", which could mean anything. I'd say that's quite a lot of judging and speculating you're making!

How about his performance BEFORE this storm hit then? What's the excuse for doing nothing in that period?

Regardless of the scandal, and his dodgy views, he's been an absolutely useless MP. That's undeniable.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 13:35 ----------

Well we know he used to post here!

Timing of this seems remarkable, coming just two months after that Yorkshire Post investigation into what he was up to!

On this forum Young was discussed in the Conservative Party thread in General Discussion.

Which is interesting in itself.

Toby Young, not an MP, nor a political appointment, gets discussed in the Conservative Party thread.

Discussion of Jared O’Mara, elected Labour MP, doesn’t get merged into the Labour Party thread.

Which is interesting in itself.

Toby Young, not an MP, nor a political appointment, gets discussed in the Conservative Party thread.

Discussion of Jared O’Mara, elected Labour MP, doesn’t get merged into the Labour Party thread.

I guess because he isn't related specifically to Sheffield?

Edited by paula4sheff

I guess because he isn't related to specifically to Sheffield?

I see that. And I understand that Jared is very interesting to the forum members.

I’d have thought that Toby Young would have merited his own thread though. I don’t know if he got merged into the Tory thread or not. Only a mod will be able to clarify that.

There are loads of these cases, Jared, Anne Marie Morris, Young, Ben Bradley. Maybe we should have a “Said Stupid Things on the Internet Ten Year’s Ago - All discussion here” thread.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 13:48 ----------

Stop bringing facts into it Paula.

You’ve got fact and opinion mixed up there, “Emma”.

Thanks.

"MP Jared O'Mara is to resume duties in his constituency and Parliament after a 12-week absence, his office has said.

The Sheffield Hallam MP was suspended by the Labour Party in October over misogynistic and homophobic comments he is alleged to have made.

Mr O'Mara has apologised for online remarks from 2002 and 2004 but denies some more recent claims.

He was signed off work by his GP on 13 December but has said he now intends to resume duties on a "phased return".

In a statement posted on his website, a spokesman said Mr O'Mara will be resuming his duties "with immediate effect."

He added: "The phased return, on medical advice, will see Jared taking up duties both in Parliament and the constituency."

Mr O'Mara said he was "pleased" to be returning to work and was "delighted to be moving forward and able to represent my constituents".

News of his return comes a day after a newspaper reported some of his constituents were calling for him to resign and trigger a by-election.

The 35-year-old MP resigned from the women and equalities committee after political website Guido Fawkes unearthed offensive comments he had made online in 2004.

More comments, involving homophobic language, then emerged dating back to 2002.

Sophie Evans, who had met Mr O'Mara on a dating app before he was elected, told the BBC's Daily Politics he had made comments to her that "aren't broadcastable".

Mr O'Mara apologised for remarks in 2002 and 2004 but "categorically denies" Ms Evans' allegation.

The MP hasn't spoken publically in Parliament or his constituency since his apology on 23 October.

A Labour party spokesman said it hoped to conclude its investigation into Mr O'Mara soon."

Thanks.

"MP Jared O'Mara is to resume duties in his constituency and Parliament after a 12-week absence, his office has said.

The Sheffield Hallam MP was suspended by the Labour Party in October over misogynistic and homophobic comments he is alleged to have made.

Mr O'Mara has apologised for online remarks from 2002 and 2004 but denies some more recent claims.

He was signed off work by his GP on 13 December but has said he now intends to resume duties on a "phased return".

In a statement posted on his website, a spokesman said Mr O'Mara will be resuming his duties "with immediate effect."

He added: "The phased return, on medical advice, will see Jared taking up duties both in Parliament and the constituency."

Mr O'Mara said he was "pleased" to be returning to work and was "delighted to be moving forward and able to represent my constituents".

News of his return comes a day after a newspaper reported some of his constituents were calling for him to resign and trigger a by-election.

The 35-year-old MP resigned from the women and equalities committee after political website Guido Fawkes unearthed offensive comments he had made online in 2004.

More comments, involving homophobic language, then emerged dating back to 2002.

Sophie Evans, who had met Mr O'Mara on a dating app before he was elected, told the BBC's Daily Politics he had made comments to her that "aren't broadcastable".

Mr O'Mara apologised for remarks in 2002 and 2004 but "categorically denies" Ms Evans' allegation.

The MP hasn't spoken publically in Parliament or his constituency since his apology on 23 October.

A Labour party spokesman said it hoped to conclude its investigation into Mr O'Mara soon."

In other words I will return to work slowly and pretend like nothing has happened having pretty much done nothing since I got elected.