Jared Omara MP ..

Message added by nikki-red

We understand that this is an emotive subject, and discussing the facts is totally fine.
Posting insults is not.
Jared is local to us, and could well be a member of the forum, we dont allow name calling and insults on other threads and they arent acceptable on this one either.

He wasn't elected to represent his party - he was elected to represent his constituents.

I didn't say he was elected solely to represent his party. He was sponsored and paid for to be a representative of the Labour party first and the voters voted for him on that basis. As an elected Labour representative in Parliament and a member of the Labour party he was also bound by the party whip. That means he votes the way the party wants without regard to his constituents wishes.

If its about representing just constituents then why do we have voting on party political lines?

I actually respect your honesty there, which is in contrast to the faux outrage shown by other right wingers on this thread. From a right wing point of view the things he said are nothing special and it is 'a big fuss over nowt'.

This is shown by the fact that whereas O'Mara is rightly seen as a liability for Labour, Ben Bradley is equally clearly seen as an asset for the Tories. Whereas O'Mara was disciplined, suspended and has now left the party, Bradley was promoted to head of the Jugendbund (or whatever - vice chairman for youth - though I gather he's now resigned that post) and had £15,000 of legal costs (reportedly an out-of-court libel settlement) paid for him by the Party.

Well it's the modern way to make a fuss over nowt, especially on t'internet, and faux outrage is certainly not a trait that belongs exclusively to right wingers that bar is constantly being set by those on the left IMHO.

If its about representing just constituents then why do we have voting on party political lines?

Even if we had just independent MPs eventually ones with similar views/standards would group together and vote in a similar fashion so we'd end up with parties anyway...

I actually respect your honesty there, which is in contrast to the faux outrage shown by other right wingers on this thread. From a right wing point of view the things he said are nothing special and it is 'a big fuss over nowt'.

This is shown by the fact that whereas O'Mara is rightly seen as a liability for Labour, Ben Bradley is equally clearly seen as an asset for the Tories. Whereas O'Mara was disciplined, suspended and has now left the party, Bradley was promoted to head of the Jugendbund (or whatever - vice chairman for youth - though I gather he's now resigned that post) and had £15,000 of legal costs (reportedly an out-of-court libel settlement) paid for him by the Party.

:hihi: Easily the best post on this thread. Perhaps they could replace Bradley with the 'right honourable' member for Burton & Uttoxeter? Seems to have the appropriate experience and desire to engage with younger constituents via social media!

Even if we had just independent MPs eventually ones with similar views/standards would group together and vote in a similar fashion so we'd end up with parties anyway...

But they would not be subject to a whip to make sure they vote the way a party wants. I notice in the news today that John Woodcock MP has now resigned from the Labour party and will become an independent. Sorry but in my books both him and Omara should actually resign as an MP and so should any other that decides to change sides.