Cost, electric cars

Think about it.

30kwh battery.

If completely empty it will need 30kwh to recharge.

How much are you paying on you domestic electricity supply contract?

If 10p per kwh, it will cost £3 to recharge.

That assumes no losses in the recharge process - it will cost more. No losses is as likely as perpetual motion.

That assumes no losses in the recharge process - it will cost more. No losses is as likely as perpetual motion.

The theoretical distance when new, on one fully charged battery is 155 miles, so with losses that is still very good and very cheap.

I read that a 2 year old Nissan Leaf gets around 80 miles on one charge.

The Nissan LEAF hatchback is engineered for the real world. With an NEDC range of up to 124 miles (LEAF 24kWh) or up to 155 miles (LEAF 30kWh), it's easily enough to cover most people's needs.

I don't know how much to recharge, but electric cars depreciate heavily if you pay full price when new. Also many companies charge £70 upwards per month to lease the batteries.

Even a torch from the supermarket has the batteries included in the price. :loopy:

Nissan Leaf = 30 kw battery.

How much will it cost to charge, from a domestic supply? Never mind the free charging points and solar panels.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/leaf

Electric cars are becoming more common, lets have some facts, not grumpy old men arguments.

More important I think is the point that it's all useless unless you have a drive. Nearly every car around here is parked on the road. Trailing a cable over the pavement wouldn't be on for me.

Charging the Nissan LEAF 30kWh from empty costs about £3.00 (with overnight electricity rate at 10p per kWh). Charging the Nissan LEAF 24kWh costs about £2.40 (using the overnight rate). Cost of a running a Nissan LEAF is only 2p per mile. Results in saving of almost £1,000 a year compared to average petrol car

https://pod-point.com/landing-pages/nissan-leaf-charging

More important I think is the point that it's all useless unless you have a drive. Nearly every car around here is parked on the road. Trailing a cable over the pavement wouldn't be on for me.

I don't think anyone is making purchase of an electric car compulsory, at the moment ;)

We all choose a car that meets our needs.