Cost, electric cars

You pay the supermarket every month for the same torch batteries?

I thought electric cars came with rechargeable batteries? Have I got it wrong?

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 10:47 ----------

So that is a 100% efficient transfer of energy with not one single bit being lost along the way??

My electricity is around 13p(ex VAT) per kw, maybe they are quoting old prices or just giving a rough guide?

Edited by El Cid

My electricity is around 13p(ex VAT) per kw, maybe they are quoting old prices or just giving a rough guide?

Like most things with the car industry, they gloss over the finer points and present the best possible figures that no-one will ever achieve.

I wonder what the cost per mile (per year) is when you factor in over £800 in battery rental????

Edited by geared

I wonder what the cost per mile (per year) is when you factor in over £800 in battery rental????

You haven't clarified what you are saying. So you buy a new electric car, but rent the batteries, well thats jolly good, it means that you never own them, so you dont need to buy new batteries after 5 years.

So you buy a new electric car, but rent the batteries,

Thats exactly what I'm saying.

For example with the Renault Zoe battery rental is mandatory, and you will pay £69/month based on a yearly mileage of 7500 miles.

You can pay less, £59/month but you're limited to 6000 miles. Or you could pay more, £79/month for 9000 mile package.

It's rare to completely drain the battery and then recharge to 100% so I wouldn't obsess too much about a cost of a full charge. The figures here are close enough to give a good idea of cost.

Renault Zoe batteries can be rented or purchased outright.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe-250/purchase-options.html

Battery rental made sense in the cautious early days when it was not known how long batteries would last. It's now several years later and batteries are outlasting all expectations. We're seeing cars older than 3 years, greater than 150,000 miles and 95% battery capacity. That's better than the degradation you'd have on a combustion engine at that mileage.

Battery rental made sense in the cautious early days when it was not known how long batteries would last. It's now several years later and batteries are outlasting all expectations. We're seeing cars older than 3 years, greater than 150,000 miles and 95% battery capacity. That's better than the degradation you'd have on a combustion engine at that mileage.

There are always skeptics, but they cannot let go. Nice to see positive news.

The Tesla's especially have posted excellent battery life results, I don't know if many people have done similar miles in the small city cars like the Leaf and others though?

I wonder if the rental batteries have a guaranteed replacement at a certain time as well?

I don't think anyone was being overly negative, just realistic. Cheaply refuelling an electric car is a plus, just be aware of the depreciation and battery leasing when you're calculating the costs. I'm not at all anti electric car, I like the idea of all the torque at the bottom end, the reduced noise and fewer moving parts in the engine (which should mean lower servicing costs). Not to mention cleaner air.

As for battery life, didn't someone say that the battery on their Lexus hybrid was 100% after 7 years?

As for battery life, didn't someone say that the battery on their Lexus hybrid was 100% after 7 years?

If only DIY power tools were as good, and with all the different types, when the battery dies, you may as well buy a new tool.