Cost, electric cars

Nissan Leaf = 30 kw battery.

How much will it cost to charge, from a domestic supply? Never mind the free charging points and solar panels.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/leaf

Electric cars are becoming more common, lets have some facts, not grumpy old men arguments.

I was told by the salesman that my Mitzi PHEV cost £1 per charge. Also that it did 164 mpg.

Angel1

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 19:57 ----------

I don't think anyone was being overly negative, just realistic.

As for battery life, didn't someone say that the battery on their Lexus hybrid was 100% after 7 years?

I was told that my PHEV battery would last 5 years, and cost 5k to replace. Is it true, truth be told I don't know.

As for ANY battery showing 100% after 7 years, that I truly doubt.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 26-10-2017 at 11:02 ----------

Like most things with the car industry, they gloss over the finer points and present the best possible figures that no-one will ever achieve.

I wonder what the cost per mile (per year) is when you factor in over £800 in battery rental????

I think you have hit the nail full on with the hammer. As a lecky car user for three years, your first statement is absolutely correct, the figures given are pie in the sky, unachievable.

Your second point is on the brass also, you are told about the "good" things, but very little about the bad ones.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

I don't think anyone is making purchase of an electric car compulsory, at the moment ;)

We all choose a car that meets our needs.

Regarding your reply to me in post number 10, I ever said anyone's forcing anyone. I would like one except for the problem I mentioned.

Edited by spilldig

• 6 months later...

It's possible to get on-street electric chargepoints. The government are offering money for councils to install them. http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/transport-travel/electric-vehicles/street-residential-chargepoint-scheme

Unfortunately, you have to apply to your council to get one and most councils are not interested.

I have contacted Sheffield CC about this and am still waiting for a reply. Doies anybody know what their policy is, if any?