Charity shops, is it a business

I suppose you think that the leadership of a a national organisation employing thousands of staff and dealing with millions in finances can be dealt with voluntary by Mavis popping in a couple of mornings a week.

Big charities need staff. Those staff need management. Those management need a chief executive.

YES, Execs get a massive salary compared to most people but for that type of job in that size of organisation its average at best. In fact compared to most executives its pocket change.

What exactly would you deem to be a fair salary for a national charity executive?

Interestingly, from a recent report, many of the famous names are not even reaching the top 100 list of the highest paid Charity CEOs

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2017-highest-earners/special-report/article/1427306

Not really that much of a disgrace as people seem to constantly make out.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The only reason CEOs are on such huge salaries is because they have been allowed to decide their own pay packages for years. It's nothing to do with ability or responsibility, just their own greed. They aren't even particularly good at what they do; if they were, we would have a great deal more productivity and less opportunism.

What if the charity shop in question raised money for cancer patients as opposed to the homeless? Would it still be ok for him to start switching the price tags around.

There are places that homeless people can attend for support (ie The Archer Project) without resorting to dishonest tactics.

Just my opinion though. :)

I agree. The Archer project helps homeless people with clothes, shoes, toiletries etc. I think the genuinely homeless in Sheffield are usually aware of it.

The only reason CEOs are on such huge salaries is because they have been allowed to decide their own pay packages for years. It's nothing to do with ability or responsibility, just their own greed. They aren't even particularly good at what they do; if they were, we would have a great deal more productivity and less opportunism.

I work in the sector. I don't know one CEO that sets their own salary. The board of trustees set these salaries together with the senior management teams.

So what would you prefer - a CEO on £30k that generates £90k income through fundraising or one on £147k that generates £2.1m per year for good causes? Certainly at my place we get paid on results otherwise it's redundancies or salary cuts

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quotes

I work in the sector. I don't know one CEO that sets their own salary. The board of trustees set these salaries together with the senior management teams.

So what would you prefer - a CEO on £30k that generates £90k income through fundraising or one on £147k that generates £2.1m per year for good causes? Certainly at my place we get paid on results otherwise it's redundancies or salary cuts

The people who work in charity shops, in the main, do it for sod all. If they all though "I want to do it for the money" theyd all be working in asda and charities would crumble.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

The people who work in charity shops, in the main, do it for sod all. If they all though "I want to do it for the money" theyd all be working in asda and charities would crumble.

They get first dabs on what is donated, so nice little perk going on there.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

I guess. Maybe the guy on £174k could take £120k and have a rummage as well. Or is going through other peoples stuff just for the poor folk?

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

I guess. Maybe the guy on £174k could take £120k and have a rummage as well. Or is going through other peoples stuff just for the poor folk?

Just the lower orders TFH.

No, seriously up in the affluent West-End of Glasgow charity shops get full of middle class sorts buying up the stuff. Depends which area the charity shops are located.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

Just the lower orders TFH.

No, seriously up in the affluent West-End of Glasgow charity shops get full of middle class sorts buying up the stuff. Depends which area the charity shops are located.

Dont doubt that at all - and Im sure and some places the nicer stuff will go to shops in more afluent areas when its sorted out.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

In some shops, this is true. As I saw it in Barnsley when I was a kid. But then again, if you're volunteering for free whilst all the fat cats at the top get a nice little pay packet.................

Dont doubt that at all - and Im sure and some places the nicer stuff will go to shops in more afluent areas when its sorted out.

Perhaps that's how some charity shops work, but not the BHF. What gets donated to a shop gets sorted, priced, and sold in that shop. Anything particularly valuable goes to the Ebay site.

---------- Post added 28-10-2017 at 08:46 ----------

In some shops, this is true. As I saw it in Barnsley when I was a kid. But then again, if you're volunteering for free whilst all the fat cats at the top get a nice little pay packet.................

Shop staff aren't particularly well paid, and the paid colleagues I work with (as a volunteer) put in plenty of unpaid hours too. Senior management are paid at a going rate I expect, although I've never checked. I do know that a lot of money is made that enables research and development into heart conditions. That's the important outcome for me.

Edited by Ms Macbeth