Herman Goering's staff car

An old girlfriend's father (from Sheffield) told me that this car was displayed in Sheffield after the war along with a german aircraft (Me 109?). Anyone remember seeing this?

Also were any german aircraft brought down in or near sheffield during the Blitz. I heard once that one was supposed to have come down near Grimethorpe.

During the War..( I know, I sound like Uncle Albert) But during the war, when I was about 5 years old, there were two German aircraft on display on a bombsite near Fitzalan Square I think it was on the site of the bombed out Marples pub, but I could be wrong about that..anyway I can remember being lifted into the cockpit of one of the planes by a man in Air warden uniform.

I remember seeing it on display in Great Yarmouth in front of a car showroom at the top of the main street. It was open topped Mercedes and it was huge, weighing several tons. It was made from armour plate with a 1 1/2 thick bullet proof glass windscreen.

As aboy I was fascinated with a trap door which opened in the floor in front of the rear seats. The mind boggles thinking what that was for, although Herman was well known for his drinking!!

Quite a time after that it appeared on show in Sheffield.

• 1 year later...

Saw the car — yes, it was a Mercedes — at Kenningsin Sheffield. It weighed, I think, three tons and yes the windows were bullet-proof. Also saw the record speed-breaking Bluebird at Kennings, and he Silver Jubilee in the railway sidings just beyond the Wicker.

I did read somewhere that Goering used 11 different cars, I should think there will be enough around in the car museums for everyone to see one of his cars.

I do have a Swastika car mascot that was taken off a staff car outside the Gestapo Headquarters in Berlin.

An old buddie if mine was a driver for the British Army Intelligence and drove a team straight to the building as soon as they reached Berlin.

He stood outside waiting for them and just couldn't resist unscewing the mascot off the bonnet of one of the cars abandoned outside in the street.

Happy Days!

I remember seeing a car that belonged to a German General or whatever in the 40's, it was on a vacant block of land around where the hole in the road was, I don't know what make it was but it was a big black one, not unlike the gangsters used in the USA, it was bullet proof & had a hard top.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember seeing a car that belonged to a German General or whatever in the 40's, it was on a vacant block of land around where the hole in the road was, I don't know what make it was but it was a big black one, not unlike the gangsters used in the USA, it was bullet proof & had a hard top.

Hi Skippy I remember seeing that car the windows were about an 1 inch thick I thought it was supposed to be AL Capones car

An old girlfriend's father (from Sheffield) told me that this car was displayed in Sheffield after the war along with a german aircraft (Me 109?). Anyone remember seeing this?

Also were any german aircraft brought down in or near sheffield during the Blitz. I heard once that one was supposed to have come down near Grimethorpe.

there was a german aircraft crashed in endcliffe woods I saw it

You could be right Arthur, I remember the thickness of the windows, it was built as strong as a tank and had chips in the glass caused by bulletts.

I was only a nipper at the time & was with my Mother & Aunt.

Archived