Have a Sheffield History Question

Joy YL

Recently, I purchased four square openwork, hand-wrought sterling silver buttons. Each displays a different spring flower - tulip, crocus, etc. Each is marked "sterling" but with no other identifying marks.

An accompanying letter was dated June 28, 1948 with the address:

3 Ryle Rd.

Nether Edge

Sheffield 7

The note is to someone called "Bucks." It reads,

My dearest Bucks,

Just a few buttons for you to pass the time on — thought they might do for your blouse or a jacket.

Fondest love to you all & yourself in particular.

Yours Pop

Would anyone out there have any idea as to who may have made these buttons and who might have been residing at that address in June 1948.

Any information would be appreciated.

Joy YL

Hi Joy RL - welcome to the Forum!

"George R. Davies, schoolmaster" is given as the householder of 3 Ryle Road in Kelly’s directories from the 1930s to the 1950s. This was George Robert Davies (1875-1969). Here is the relevant entry from the "1939 Register".

I don't know if the buttons would have been made in Sheffield, but here is a list of local button manufacturers from the classified section of the 1951 directory.

Thanks for the information regarding the resident of 3 Ryle Road as well as the information regarding button makers in the area. This has provided a start to my research about the origin of the four buttons in question. Hopefully, others will also have information to share.

Joy YL